Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orikal

Unresolved external errors

Could anyone explain what unresolved external link errors in Visual C++ mean and how to fix them? Any help would be appreciated.

tell us what messages you''re getting

when you use functions which come from code that you havent written yourself you have to tell the compiler where to find those functions. the compiler will then link with libraries which have the necessary code for you. usually the standard libraries are automatically included in your compiler path settings.

are you using any functions like opengl as you often have to set things up properly for that?

Look at the documentation for the Unresolved functions. They''ll tell you which library to include for that function.

Either the MSDN library for Windows, or do a ''man'' on Unix/Linux.

Okay, thanks alot, guys. I put the right libraries in the include directory of VC++ and put their names in the project settings. But now I''m getting this:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "FGWBC32.LIB"

Any ideas?

goto "tools -> options -> directories" and set your library path.

LNK1104....

use the MSDN, it's your friend....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

[edited by - jenova on May 7, 2002 11:01:55 AM]

I put them in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE

and that was already set as a directory.

Nevermind, though, I''m tired of messing with it. Does anyone know a good beginning 3D tutorial? I would prefer one that uses the DirectX 8.1 SDK and/or includes source code that uses this SDK. So far what I''m finding on gamedev''s tutorials use 7''s SDK and try to include headers that aren''t in 8''s (D3DApp.h to be specific).

I''ll keep looking, but if anything comes to mind, please tell me.

the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE
{/b} is for header files [b]{.h}

library files; which is what the error is complaining about, are something totally different.

so set you library files path correctly.... select the drop-down menu box and you''ll see different options.... include, library, source, and executable . select library files and make sure the paths are set correctly.

usually in the path....
the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\LIB

i''m using .NET now, so i can''t remember off hand what it is for VC++ 6.0.

i don''t really use tutorials, so i couldn''t point you anywhere for that.... maybe NeXe?

the problem you are having has nothing to do w/ the API, and you will have to learn how to use your programming tools as some point.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.