STL Source

Started by
8 comments, last by Xanth 21 years, 11 months ago
Ok I can''t take it much longer... Is there ANY way to get the actual source for the STL? Instead of just all the function declarations? struct Geek { void e_mail = belgedin@earthlink.net; void url; int age = 17; };
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
Advertisement
The STL is distributed as source. It always has been because no compiler has supported export so far (yeah, yeah, Comeau).

Look in your include directories. Alternatively, download STL sources from SGI or STLPort.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Hi, Oluseyi.

Thanks for the links I''ll definitely check them out =)

>>>>>Look in your include directories.<<<<<

Yeah I''ve been look in there for a while (using Dev-C++ btw) All I can ever find is function declarations i.e. in the string.h file

char* strcpy (char* szCopyTo, const char* szSource);

I''ve already written a bunch of my own string functions (for learning purposes, not trying to reinvent the wheel here, I just want to "understand") but guess work isn''t going to work for the whole STL and I hate not understanding something that I''m using.

Hehe just noticed you''ve got the SGI link in your sig =)

struct Geek {
void e_mail = belgedin@earthlink.net;
void url;
int age = 17;
};
The string.h file does not belong to the STL, it is part of the POSIX part of your run time library.
The file "string" contains the std::string class. Note however that this source can be very unreadable at times.
STL headers are of the form "vector." and "string.", not "vector.h" or "string.h".
That's what I thought at first but then I couldn't find anything except string.h

EDIT>>>> Ok just did a "Find Files/Folders" search and located the STL string include. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

>>>>>Note however that this source can be very unreadable at times.<<<<<

Yikes, you weren't kidding

struct Geek {
    void url;
    int age = 17;
};

[edited by - Xanth on May 7, 2002 1:34:52 PM]

[edited by - Xanth on May 7, 2002 1:45:00 PM]
The fact that the STL is distributed as source does not mean that source is intended for prying eyes. This may become apparent when you browse the source, particularly if you have a commercial implementation of the STL. What is it you want with the source? Your needs might be better served by a good reference guide.

[ C++ FAQ Lite | ACCU | Boost | Python | Agile Manifesto! ]
Like I said, I just want to understand why the things I'm using work. I don't like letting someone else do my work for me.

EDIT>> to amend that last statement what I really mean is I just don't like using something I don't understand. Ofcourse I don't want to write my own version of the STL. I just don't want something else doing for me what I couldn't do myself.

struct Geek {
    void url;
    int age = 17;
};

[edited by - Xanth on May 7, 2002 2:04:13 PM]
quote:Original post by Xanth
Like I said, I just want to understand why the things I''m using work. I don''t like letting someone else do my work for me.

-> SGI STL site link in sig. Design docs, explanations, index, complete reference.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
>>>>>-> SGI STL site link in sig. Design docs, explanations, index, complete reference.<<<<<

Yup, I've been reading through it since you gave me the link inyour first reply. That last comment was just a reply to SabreMan's post.

[edited by - Xanth on May 7, 2002 6:09:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement