• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fredric

OpenGL OpenGL Books

This topic is 6822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to purchase a *good* openGL book. I have no idea what book is a good choice for a programmer like me, simply because I''m relatively new to programming (just getting into advanced polymorphism). I am completely ignorant to graphics as a whole, so, I''m turning to you people- the experts. I need a good OpenGL book (preferabbly in C++) that teaches how to use graphics dynamically in my applications from the ground up (from the ground up, I mean no background history is programming graphics). Is this book one that asks for too much and simply doesn''t exist? While I dunno- someone,please help a poor fella like me get some graphics in my apps! Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)

Advertisement
OpenGL Programmers Guide 3rd edition by woo et al is the book on OpenGL. It should be good for someone w/ little graphics knowledge.
That in combination w/ nehe''s tutorial
http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp

Mike

Be carefull with reading the OpenGL Programmers Guide 3rd edition, it describes OpenGL v 1.2! If you want your users to run your app they''ll have to download the new OpenGL version, which is not supported by Windows.

However, don''t take this too serious because most functions in OpenGL v 1.2 are the same (at least their names & parameters) as in OpenGL v 1.1

----------
Drago

I have the OpenGL Superbible 2nd Edition and it works very well for me. It starts off teaching you OGL with GLUT to keep things simple then moves into Win32 specifics and Rendering Contexts. Confused? Get the book!

There are some online OpenGL books at this web site:

http://heron.cc.ukans.edu/ebt-bin/nph-dweb/dynaweb/SGI_Developer/@Generic__CollectionView;cd=7;td=6

Of note they have, the OpenGL Programming Guide and OpenGL Reference Manual both by Addison-Wesley Publishing

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!