About Graphics

Started by
11 comments, last by Icetray81 24 years ago
volantiz...
The big disadvantage is after you've downloaded your new super programming tool you unpack it, install it and try to execute it and..."Could not load library gibberish_1_0_4". And you're lucky if you're just missing one library. Also, if you're not used to the unix platform, like me, it can be quite tricky to get things working (Or is it just me? Probably is).

"I think, therefore I am...I think"

Edited by - Staffan on 3/19/00 8:48:34 AM
Advertisement
i say just get some good programming books for games (Andre LaMothe has lots of good ones), and use Microsoft Visual C++. Now, for some reason, people associate Visual C++ with MFC. They are mislead. MFC simple helps you maked windows applications, but you dont have to use it just because your in Visual C++.

for those techy people use:
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
at the top of your source file. this tells the compiler to totally ignore MFC and not use it.

if you want to make games with a windows application integrated interface (i.e a game with buttons, menus, etc.), then you''ll have to combine MFC and DirectX. But otherwise, everythings fine. I almost forgot, you need to know at least a little MFC to get the windows application skeleton up and runnon''. Oh, BTW, if you don''t know assembly, don''t bother with it. No offense, but the kinds of games you''ll be making at first won''t be affected even if you DID use assembly
> if you want to make games with a windows application integrated interface (i.e a game with buttons, menus, etc.), then you''ll have to combine MFC and DirectX.

Why? What''s wrong with pure win32 API? Or a cutsom GUI?

> I almost forgot, you need to know at least a little MFC to get the windows application skeleton up and runnon''.

That''s odd. I haven''t got a single line of MFC code in my win32 applications/games, still it works very well. Is it just me, or can you get the basic windows stuff to work without MFC? Hmm.

"I think, therefore I am...I think"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement