• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PR joint efforts ideas for game submit idea here:P

This topic is 6552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hi Folks,
Heres a few Ideas. 1 based loosely on the idea Azreal submitted.

1 - Inside/Outside, Different Planets (Make for nice terrains) Can drive vehicles, hovercraft etc, just go out in teams and kill everyone. (Similar to Vendetta88 on the Playstation, but allow for Inside & Getting out of vehicles.) Probably a bit too Quakeish.

2 - Streetfighter Style game, use skinned skeletal characters, but add tonnes of anims. Possibly add true limits to limbs etc, so they respond to different forces, and can break, dislocate. Would need a lot of work with the CHR system, but holds a lot of promise.
Can be set in large Complexes, and not necessarily just one on one.

3 - True 3D Sideways Scroller, using lots of CHRs etc could be quite nice. Or could do TopDown Scroller.

4 - A Hunting game, but make it off planet, hunting alien species.

Cheers
Darrin

Forgot to mention, no quake clones to many of thoses I think everybody agrees!!!! heheheh

Ok. I agree, but I think we need to set a date on the ideas and then a voting process may help us decide which is better dont you think?

Per example lets set the final date for ideas on april 10, 2000
Voting begins april 11, ends april 20.
per example what do you think?

Ok,
Heres an idea.
Vehicle Based, Similar to Monster Trucks, but add weapons, larger terrain areas etc.
Could have vehicle selections, from tanks (Slow/Heavy Armour/Powerfull weapons) to Speeder Bikes (Fast/Low Armour/Smaller Weapons).
Make it network play (Up to 32 players), and make it sort of like a demolition Derby, last player left alive wins.

If we come up with a good vehicle physics model, we could just about let the competitors create their own vehicles from pre-defined components, which they could improve with winnings from events.

Make it sort of like a TV Program setup, future sports event. This does allow for Advertising Billboards, which we may be able to use to get real Advertising Dollars, once game nears completion.

A Vehicle Based game would be relatively easy to do, with a pretty quick turn around.

I also have a contact who could look into selling it on our behalf, and maybe organising the advertising billboards. (more than 10 years in the game marketing industry, for some pretty big companys/Titles)

Cheers
Darrin

Take the old arcade hit d&d or golden axe and make it 3d side scroller. the char system wiuld be killer for this beacsue we woiuld be able o implement all kinds of movement to the chars and layering fro clothing.

Hi Voodoo,
Just have to take into account the Current furore over retro arcade games.
I refer to an article last week, where Hasbro brought the rights to all of Ataris old arcade games, and then proceeded to sue everyone who had a commercial retro release of these games, or whos games looked similar in any way.

Check
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/business/features/hasbro1/

Cheers
Darrin

Ok Folks,
Heres a modification to the vehicle idea.
Have the players being able to ride/control mythological/alien style beasts, creating some of our own. Still full on battles, along the vehicle idea, but with Large behemoths, fast dragons, arachnid based ones, giant scorpians etc etc. Think of a medievil battlefield with centaurs, cyclops fighting dragons etc etc, or an alien world along the lines of Starship troopers, where you control the aliens, battling each other in glorious 3D.

Just an idea, would require a lot of Character animations, but holds a bit of promise.

Cheers
Darrin
- Anyone else have any ideas??

Hey DArrin, since you like that idea so much and nobody is pushing, for other ideas, I will folow you on that.

Hey nice idea, darrin!
I was going to suggest a "Braveheart" style modification, to the vehicle idea , you know where you held axes and swords riding on horses, But I liked your idea better specially the part of using gigantic monsters, insects

Edited by - Azrael on 3/13/00 11:15:07 AM

Cheers Guys,
Any other Comments from anyone in the group.
We could make it quite bloody.
Any preference over the medievil scenario, or the Alien World one.

I think I would prefer alien world, as you could also mix in technologies, ie the beasts could still look medievil, but have Side Mounted Missile Launchers etc. Alien also allows a lot more flexibility, ie Different Planets.
(Could also have an underwater battle)

Cheers
Darrin

Well, alien does sound ok. but I think is a little bit overused, I mean a good percenteage of games out there are about "alien battle" even quake involves that theme.

I was thinking we could mix voodoo''s golden axe idea, as far as I remember, golden axe was about two guys (warrior, elf, sourcerer) who battle against dragons, behemonts, monsters they could even ride some of them (that sounds pretty close to darrin''s idea without actually being it). Our game could be a Multiplayer 3d Golden axe, from 3rd perspective with a totally different story, gameplay and art.
I mean It would be really cool to enter a terrain filled with monsters and mowing them down with your sword and magic spells to cast, also your friends could help you in your journey, it sounds really neat! besides since it sits in a fantasy setting, every single imaginable terrain could be used, underwater too! if we are able to figure out that puzzle we could even used inside areas like castles and cathedrals.

However theres a silver lining in this cloud (I think thats how the proverb goes) Ive tested the pr2.6 engine with several q2 characters at once, and with 7+ and a 500- polys character frame rate really starts to suffer. I really dont know if its actually possible to use biological creatures in a war/battle like environment if its on the terrain engine and with lots of creatures in the screen at once. we should ask chris about this, and/or get really cleaver about LOD modeling. Will need to be cleaver about blood particles too, and rain, dust, snow effects will really add to the game.

However the idea is this: im talking about a 13th warrior style game only with magic and real monsters. dark middle age fantasy environment. with lots of blood and carnage. Battles in sunsets, where a single warrior stands in a field of corpses, No RPG stuff, no "classes", just "sword slashing, monster bashing, dragons fire brathing" action, (necesary strategy or you will get _very_ killed) !

The objective of the game could be to protect a castle from a wizard invassion or viceversa capture the flag is also possible. Or if we get more into the theme, we could have mission based episodes, to kill a certain person, protect a certain person, destroy a certain castle, you get the idea.

Possible Titles:
Warriors of the Wasteland.
Battle Sword.
Sword of the seventh warrior.

Hi Azrael,
Holds a lot of promise, though do agree about the frame rate issue. We could probably work around this somehow, ie place lots of buildings & frustrum cull objects behind buildings.

I prefer to have a lot going on at once, Vehicles would be easier, Creatures would look nicer.
If we do the Alien Style, we could have a mix of Vehicles (lo-poly count, lots of)/Aliens(Medievil style creatures, higher poly, smaller amount).
Also alien style allows for Billboards etc. - See earlier post re advertising dollars.

Cheers
Darrin

Alien is cool..

Instead of swords, think of poison slashing tentacles and guns and lots of cool lazer and plasma effects hehehe

Hi,
If no-one has any objections, I may get started on some vehicle physics model. ie Shocks etc.

Just have to finish the Flight Sim I am currently working on.

Cheers
Darrin

Sorry guys ..was on Vacation for some time

I like the Alien bit ... but I think our Landscape Engine is suited for something more realistic .. Like a battle in a Jungle aganist Predators .. we can make it pretty realistic by puping in trees, Waterfalls, caves etc..

I think we can make it very real ... what do u think

Nat

Well, I think darrin''s right but Im not sure about the buildings and specially billboards (I really dont think they make THAT much money) if we have those we''ll have to be in a city/town and that limits our scenarios quite a bit. We should think about that.
Now aliens/humans battling in a city, that sounds a bit "b-movie" to me, its not necesarily a bad thing but its not starship troopers neither.

I like the waterfalls idea, A more natural terrain is a nice thought, but I really think it doesnt apply to an action game, however some scenarios could be placed in beautiful alien landscapes, sunsets are a very good resource for this.

So resuming.
Aliens vs humans
battle in a alien/extraterrestrial like scenario
Humans use vehicles and weapons.
Aliens have/are trained beasts to attack. (starship troopers style)
Multiplayer gaming , with strategy elements.

AOW(All out war/Deathmatch), Team battle ,CTF, CTB (capture the building),domination, mission based.

Just a idea, we could place vehicles/beasts in the map so players grab them and have an advantage. (like weapons)

This is beginning to sound very nice.

p.s. could it be possible to use somekind of system to allow gamers skins and models? I think that will be really cool, I always wanted to add that feature in a game

features.
How can we avoid the infinite map effect?
Huge realistic explosions!

Hi Guys,
Great Ideas, seems to be getting somewhere.
The Billboards etc was just an idea, along the lines of a sports arena, with planets being the battlefield, sponsors advertising on Billboards (Sort of a futuristic "Running Man", but set on alien planets.)

I have not had much luck doing Large Dense amounts of trees, if anyone has, could they let me know how.

I can possibly get around the Infinite map effect, will look into this.
Players could possibly be able to skin their own models, ie paste their face over the existing model face. Creating their own CHRs may be a bit much, but we could look into further down the track.

Cheers
Darrin

Is there a site for the combined effort

Could each one on this group ..declare what they are good at doing best ... so that we can realise if we have the needed resourses.

cheers,
Nat

Well I think a good mixture between jungle and city scapes would be nice and we all agree that it will a perspective other then 1st person right??

Also before anybody goes off on what they will program!! We have to set the final idea then make teams on who will do what and what standard etc....

Hi,
I am probably best suited for Artwork/Modelling/Animation. I do program as well, but we will probably be shorter on artists. I could probably come up with some good programming ideas as well.

Cheers Darrin

Yes, there is a site for the joint effort,
http://www5.ewebcity.com/PrJoinProject
Unfortunately is quite unfinished (even though to be totally we didnt had anything to post netither ), Ill get to it this week, because the project has been moving a lot! and is beginning to take form

Ok. about my contributions, well there''s the website and my
nice ideas isn''t that enough ? ... just kidding
I can model in 3D specially vehicles, weapon design I think I can handle that too. general 2d design, history, game designing (rules level design ) and general programming. (just dont ask pr 3 code because I dont have it, I have pr 2.6. ,sorry )
Lets do it!
P.S. AI and TCP/IP Im not an expert, but I could give it a try.

Anyone has any ideas about portal rendering? (just wondering)

About chr files, perhaps and since we have the code, we could modify the char system for the game. in order to support skins and models (just an idea though)

p.s. We really should made a modular job, that means each one creates a library that handles a part of the game and includes code.

I can do a programming for AI. I can also work on Biped animations creations... but at present my Physique modifier does not work ... does anyone have a working Physique modifier

cheers,
Nat

Yes! the calls should be made as funtion calls which will be called in the main loop to acheive the desired result ..so that we don''t land in integration problems later on ..

• Advertisement