OpenGL BOOK

Started by
4 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 1 month ago
I need to purchase a *good* openGL book. I have no idea what book is a good choice for a programmer like me, simply because I''m relatively new to programming (just getting into advanced polymorphism). I am completely ignorant to graphics as a whole, so, I''m turning to you people- the experts. I need a good OpenGL book (preferabbly in C++) that teaches how to use graphics dynamically in my applications from the ground up (from the ground up, I mean no background history is programming graphics). Is this book one that asks for too much and simply doesn''t exist? While I dunno- someone,please help a poor fella like me get some graphics in my apps! Try to keep in mind that I really need a C++ book, seeing as that''s my preferred language... thanks again Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
The OpenGL Super Bible (despite the cack title) is both good for beginners and is a good printed reference after you gain some level of knowledge. It''s examples are in Win32 code - so I guess that''s C, verging on C++

Paul Groves.
http://home.clara.net/paulyg
OpenGL for Beginners
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
I bought the OpenGL Super Bible and it''s an excellent book for learning OpenGL under Windows! Not so great for Linux and other OSes tho. Combined with NeHe''s tutorials I''m already learning how to code a cool full screen Open GL game.

Ok so the game is Pong, but hey start small I figure =)

And on that note, I''d just like to register my disgust with Hasbro (BOO! HISS!) for their retarded litigation against small software companies making their own versions of the old Atari arcade games. People have to learn somehow! And people wonder why the age of the hobbyist programmer is ending! I would never be able so sit down and code something like Quake 3 within my spare time. I''m not a troglodyte who can lock himself in a room with a computer for 18 hours (no diss intended, Carmack )

Peace, y''all
I would recommend you to buy:
OpenGL Reference Manual: the Official Reference Document for OpenGl, Release 1 from Addison Wesley Longman Higher Education.

It''s a must on your desk when programming OpenGL
Death is lifes way saying your fired.
I would recommend you the OpenGL Programming Guide, aka The Red Book, after you read it you should buy the OpenGL Reference Guide, aka The Blue Book. With the help of NeHe''s tutorial''s you''ll be able to create an OpenGL program under windows, the OpenGL Programming Guide is OS-independent so you''ll need some additional info. You could also buy the OpenGL Programming Guide for Windows (dont know if this is the exact title), aka the orange book, this book is like the red book but is directed at the Windows platforms.

Go to www.opengl.org there you can find a listing of all the OpenGL books.

----------
Drago
osu!
I heard "Interactive Computer graphics, top-down approach" is very good for people with math background.

(Some math people can understand math better than English, so this book explanation is crystal-clear for such people)

This textbook is used at many universities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement