• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fable

portals: automatic scene subdivision

This topic is 6649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been implementing little tech. demos for a while in regards to portals. My scenes have been hand-coded box-like cells with 1-2 portals. My rendering scheme is very similar to the "Portals and Mirrors" paper. Anyway, I''ve been having a hard time trying to "auto-portalize" a scene since I obviously don''t want to hand-code levels anymore (I''ve been using Max and trueSpace for a while). What I am looking for is some ideas on how I can take an arbitrary set of polygons and create a set of cells and portals. I have some ideas about this and they are based on the winged-edge data structure but let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by mhkrause

Try out this document, http://www.netmagic.net/~achalfin/Graphics/portal.htm .

Thanks I''ve seen that page before. The restriction of convex cells isn''t neccessary for many cell/portal environments and really limits your worlds (well, otherwise you''d have a ton of cells and portals to split your concave cells in convex ones).

The author needs convex cells for portal determination. That''s a good way to find portals but placing that restriction on your cells just to find portals seems like a kludge to me.

You don''t need convex cells since you can spare some overdraw in hardware systems. For software rendering, that paper is excellent because overdraw kills performance. Z-buffering is free on 99% of h/w so you can use non-exact portal clipping and let the z-buffer sort out the rest. Portals for hardware rendering allow you to not have to send a boatload of geometry to the card.

BTW, the "portals and mirrors" paper is at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~luebke/publications/portals.html ... It demonstrates a method that uses 2D axial-aligned bounding boxes for portals. It''s a simple method and well-suited to hardware rendering.

Anyway, I guess what I am looking for is a arbitrary polyhedron-hole-finder :-)

Thanks for the pointer though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!