• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows Millineum

This topic is 6552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There is a new OS coming out called Windows Millineum. I have heard it has the stabibilty of Windows NT and has the latest versions of DirectX. I am not sure about this because it is what I''ve heard. My friend''s brother is a Windows beta tester. I''ll ask him for more info on stability an stuff.

Advertisement
Windows 2000 basically has the stability (read: kernel) of NT4, and the latest version of DX.

Millenium is gonna keep the 95/98 kernel, which in my opinion is...

Ill stop right there, children might read this

I''ve been in since beta 1, and I can honestly say it''s better than 98. However, I still wouldn''t call it a great os. Anyway, my programs work on it, so I''m happy.

Windows on the whole, changed the role of computers on this planet even though it has a few bugs. just imagine a divided OS market and low hardware growth and other things. if it weren''t for bill gates most of the programmers would be making french fries for a living(and eating them themselves). it would be a different scene altogether. i dont care if children see this but those who deny the above thoughts SSSS U U CCC K K
S U U C K K
SSSS U U C KK
S U U C K K
ssss UUU CCC K K

WINDOWS RULZ
LINUX SUX

Kill the penguin. eat it for thanksgiving!

quote:
Original post by Ampere

I''ve been in since beta 1, and I can honestly say it''s better than 98.

I understand that DOS will be completly dropped in Windows 98 ME. Ampere, since you are a beta tester, is this true?

Just curious...

Guest Anonymous Poster
So you''re about 15 and have never tried any other OS than windoze? Sure it may have made a huge change in the way people use x86 PC''s, but it wasn''t like it hadn''t been done before (X, MacOS, Xerox PARC had a good one too) and it doesn''t make it the best OS either, some of us don''t like the fact that windows crashes all the time.

DOS is, ummm... sort of gone. You can''t boot to it, but it''s still there. You can open a prompt from windows, but that doesn''t help much when you need to do something like flash your BIOS. DOS apps aren''t supported, but ones that work on 95/98 tend to still be ok.

How can you credit Bill Gates with all of the technological
advances that have taken place in the last 30-40 years?
So Gates designed Pentiums, routers, TCP/IP, WWW, C++, etc?
NO, he did not. He copied an OS concept from Apple and marketed it very, very well. Now he is super rich and you think he is God. He is not...I give tremendous respect to him, but also to countless others who contributed to everything that we now have(all the cool nerd stuff).

And you''d like to kill Linux, yeah that''s a good plan...because competition doesn''t increase quality and drive down prices.
Oh wait, YES IT DOES!
What''s wrong with a kick ass OS for free? You don''t have to use it, but I suggest you learn how...it''s not going away soon.
Now don''t get me wrong, I love my DOS 6 up through my Win3.1 to my Win95, but I hate MACs. The closer you get to NT it seems the closer you get to MAC. Here''s my logic on that:
I want to control my computer, a can do that in DOS and windows, I can access my hardware directly and configure how stuff gets done.
NT is more of a magic black box that I don''t have to worry about...Just like a MAC.

I hope I made some sense. Let''s recap:

Gates != God;
Linux = "cool";
Microsoft = NULL;
Me = "Big Nerd";
You = "I hope nobody yells at this post."

When life hands you lemons, throw them at God's head.

Note to Ampere...

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
Network=1

Change your MSDOS.SYS file, the BootGUI line...make it a 0.
Now you will boot to DOS. Just in case you didn''t know that.

"He copied an OS concept from Apple" - This is not entirely true. Apple didn''t invent the window interface and neither did Microsoft. So don''t say MS stole. Now, I can''t say really who did, since...I''ve forgotten, but I do know that it isn''t them. And let''s look at the OS''s today, which ones non-CLI based OS''s is not using window interface?

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Some of you geniuses should read-up on Gates'' (somewhere other than a Linux site) before you speak. The man has done a lot and the PC industry would be no where near where we are today without his insight.

Still Learning...

Can you site specific examples of how he''s advanced the hardware frizb?
And yes we would be "somewhere near" where we are today even if he Gates wasn''t born. I can''t say how it would''ve gone down without the existance of a Gates, but there are lots of smart people pushing things to the next level. It''s all been a natural progression and no one man has done it...I think no one man has ever done anything by himself.

I''m not linux biased.
I like Windows.
And as far as the window concept is concerned, it doesn''t matter who made it I guess...it would have eventually been made(I mean, what the hell else are we gonna use?).
I''m sure I''ll eat those words in the future when we see the next level of OS, I can''t imagine using anything other than a GUI with "windows" though.

Since I was 7 I used an MSX, Microsoft
I used MS-DOS, Microsoft
I use Windows, Microsoft

If I then knew there was something else, I''d probably used that... Now I know there is something else, something better, BeOS... but now it''s too late

Yeah, Microsoft has done a lot of good things for the industry... They make great applications.. but their OSes stink.

BTW, Windows Millenium should be canceled.. it''s so damn rotten inside

b

The question is what the PC industry would be without Windows? A really fragmented, small area of technology for the really technical people. Could you honestly say you would do better without any Windows technology at all?

The problem with Windows (the 9x series) has been backward compability with older programs. What if MS decided to stop using the unstable and bad code from DOS in Win95? How would that be?
It''s an evil circle, MS want to make a clean start with new and stable code, but that''ll make older software incompatible and developers as well as end-uses pretty pissed.

MS has had a big responsibility for the future of PC computing, and they haven''t made the best possible, but please don''t say "they suck" because without them, we would be in an even worse situation.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

asmLOCK This is for You

Gates = God
Linux != cool
Linux instead= Useless Jaybird
You = Nerdy Geek

Mac is actually copied from Microsoft BOB.
The windows line up is the best thing that could happen to the PC

you cant deny it. tell me why 95% of the PC Users use windows, ease of use, hardware support etc.

your stupid linux has no version compatibility, no standard
+ there r a billion versions of linux alone caldera, corel, redshit. a developer will suffer again

let me see any linux free software beat the microsoft sales

where are sw''s like powerbuilder, delphi. same thing will happen to java, LINUX. wait and watch. win2k is their lates golden bullet

quote:
Original post by MetalWorX

That is totally untrue. It all started at Xerox where they created what is today known as the WIMP system. While MacOS was first being used, DOS was being written. Before Windows 3 came out (the first "useable" version) there were many OS's that were using the WIMP system (AmigaOS, MacOS, whatever the OS was called on the Atari ST).

Linux is a very good operating system, but I feel that it will remain in the domain of the developer and super user for the time being.

However, my experience with BeOS has been extremely positive and I will be there to download BeOS 5 the day it comes out (its free for home use FYI).

The BeOS and Linux bits are opinion. The rest is fact.

Edited by - vallis on 3/10/00 6:11:49 AM

If there was no Windows there would be no PC. If there was no PC there would be no Linux. If their was no MS there would be no Apple. MS gave over $180 million dollars to help Apple. MS also created most of the software that Apple needed to get going. Bill Gates and Paul Allen helped Apple create MacOS and Gates/Allen worked for Apple for a little while...

Edited by - Deluxe on 3/10/00 6:26:51 AM

quote:
Original post by Deluxe

If there was no Windows there would be no PC. If there was no PC there would be no Linux.

Correction: If there was no Windows, there would be another OS similar to Windows made by another entrepreneur like Bill Gates.

Don''t get me wrong - I like Windows. I think Windows 2000 is currently the best OS for any platform. I just hate the way people credit so much to Microsoft. They have changed a lot of things and made some things better, easier and more available. However, they have also completely and utterly broken things and messed things up (think Java).

My 2 cents.

PCs were around a long time before Windows and they will be around a long time after Windows.

I personally believe that when the mainstream consumer market realizes that there are operating systems out there that don''t crash three or four times a day, that are secure, AND don''t cost ANYTHING, that''s when Windows will die.

The hardware support for alternative OSs is gaining rapidly. Hardware vendors are realizing that more and more people are using non-MS operating systems and providing drivers for those OSs. Eventually, operating systems such as Linux will have the hardware support that Windows does, and then consumers will truly be happy.

I cannot wait for that blissful day

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com

quote:
Original post by MetalWorX

Heh. See previous post regarding Xerox.

quote:

The windows line up is the best thing that could happen to the PC

you cant deny it. tell me why 95% of the PC Users use windows, ease of use, hardware support etc.

Lack of choice, largely through MS dirty tricks suppressing all alternatives. Corel Linux is quickly catching Windows in terms of user-friendliness. Hardware support in Linux is getting better all the time, whereas Win2000 is notoriously bad for hardware support...

quote:

your stupid linux has no version compatibility, no standard
+ there r a billion versions of linux alone caldera, corel, redshit. a developer will suffer again

Funny, you can run the same stuff on all those ''different'' versions of Linux almost without exception. Where do you get these weird ideas about incompatibility between versions? As for standards... well, the Linux standards tend to be out in the open, whereas MS standards tend to be of a lower ''standard'' and hidden away so only other MS developers can truly know all the details.

quote:

let me see any linux free software beat the microsoft sales

Ah yes, because high sales always equals high quality, hmm? A fool and his money are easily parted... And just because a corporation can spend more money buying shelf space, advertising time, and bribing retailers, doesn''t mean their product is better.

quote:

where are sw''s like powerbuilder, delphi.

Delphi and C++ Builder are being ported to Linux as we speak.

quote:

same thing will happen to java, LINUX. wait and watch. win2k is their lates golden bullet

Yes, for shooting themselves in the foot

Way off topic...
The windowed OS for the AtariST was GEM. I think it was either the first or second *consumer* GUI available, and I believe it was available for multiple sets of hardware. Does anyone else out there know what I''m talking about?

Why are people always saying Windows9x crashes? I never reboot my computer unless I install something...the only thing that crashes is Netscape Navigator (which I didn''t find to be that useful) and the Active Desktop. If I don''t use those 2 things, my computer works fine.

I think the major problem is the shoddy drivers that vendors put out. Windows itself never crashes for me.

Good Luck!

- null_pointer

Correction Delphi and C++ biulder is NOT being ported to linux. Some that is SIMILAR(ie uses the lanugage) is being ported but delphi AND C++ builder use windows .dll files.
Thus the GUI has to be rebiult, the library shared by delphi and C++ builder, the code generation back-end. ALL based on a undefined standard. There are plans but they havent started. So it willnt be finished for some time

Edited by - ggs on 3/10/00 8:33:40 AM

• Advertisement