• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneEyeLessThanNone

bitmap poll

This topic is 6732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone loading bitmaps the old way (pixel by pixel)? Or is everyone depending on DirectX or windows to load bitmaps? What formats do you all use? OneEyeLessThanNone - in need of new computer Edited by - OneEyeLessThanNone on 3/9/00 7:18:42 PM

Advertisement
I wrote my own program. I guess it loads pixel by pixel, but I''m not sure (I use stdio).

There is nothing wrong with getting Windows to do something for you. If it would write my games with one API call, I would call it.

LoadImage uses .bmp's. Paint.exe uses .bmp's. I use .bmp's.
---
Grandpa Simpson - "I never thought I could shoot down a German plane, but last year I proved myself wrong!"

Edited by - spejic on 3/9/00 9:25:13 PM

Are there new tecniques to load bitmaps?
You can use Windows API or you can use your own functions...bmps are the simplest image format and it''s very easy to implement a loader (or a saver).
When you call fread(...) for example you specify a number of bytes to be read from disk...you have not to read pixel by pixel.

An even better idea than using Windows Bitmaps is to use something like, say, Targa. =) Or, try JPEG--there are many libraries out there that do most of the work for you. Windows Bitmaps are stupid, cumbersome, and unnecessarily large.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t feel that Bitmaps are necessarily useless, sure they are large, but they load very fast.

However, I personally use jpeg the most with some bmp''s and sometimes even .dds

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!