Problems w/ Initialization (Kinda big)

Started by
3 comments, last by BlackScar 24 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I''ve been developing a third person rpg and I''ve ran into some problems with the D3D initialization. At the last function of the code below, it crashes out? Why is this? It worked fine before, but recently I saw the topic over a D3D iso engine. So, to make a long story short, I followed the code to improve my own. I had to do allot of stuff to convert it to Dx7, but I believe I did it right. I think it''s because I''m trying to add a back buffer. Before, I had an offscreen surface and I just blitted it to the primary. But, since I read the tutorial on the 3d iso engine, I saw him use the back buffer and flipping chains. What am I doing wrong exactly? Thanks for reading! Justin Eslinger ////// PROBLEM CODE /////// if (FAILED(DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (VOID**)&lpdd, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL))) { return(0); } if (FAILED(lpdd->SetCooperativeLevel(g_hWnd, DDSCL_ALLOWMODEX / DDSCL_FULLSCREEN / DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE / DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT / DDSCL_FPUSETUP ))) { return(0); } if (FAILED(lpdd->SetDisplayMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP,0,0))) { return(0); } memset( &ddsd,0,sizeof(DDSURFACEDESC2) ); ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(DDSURFACEDESC2); ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS / DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT; ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE / DDSCAPS_COMPLEX / DDSCAPS_FLIP / DDSCAPS_3DDEVICE; ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1; if (FAILED(lpdd->CreateSurface( &ddsd, &lpddsprimary, NULL ))) { MessageBox(g_hWnd,"Error creating the Primary Surface!","Engine",MB_OK); return(0); } ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS; ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER / DDSCAPS_3DDEVICE; ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1; if (FAILED(lpddsprimary->GetAttachedSurface( &ddsd.ddsCaps,&lpddsback))) { MessageBox(g_hWnd,"Error attaching the Secondary Surface!","Engine",MB_OK); return(0); }; ClipMinX = 0; ClipMinY = 0; ClipMaxX = SCREEN_WIDTH - 1; ClipMaxY = SCREEN_HEIGHT - 1; RECT ScreenRect = {0,0, SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT}; Clipper = DD_AttachClipper(lpddsback, 1, &ScreenRect); if (FAILED(lpdd->QueryInterface( IID_IDirect3D7, (VOID**) &lpd3d))) { MessageBox(g_hWnd,"Error querying the DD interface!","Engine",MB_OK); return(0); } ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(DDSURFACEDESC2); if (FAILED(lpd3d->CreateDevice( IID_IDirect3DHALDevice, lpddsback, &lpd3dDev))) { if (FAILED(lpd3d->CreateDevice (IID_IDirect3DRGBDevice, lpddsback,&lpd3dDev ))) { MessageBox(g_hWnd,"Error creating D3D Device!","Engine Problems",MB_OK); return(0); } return(0); } ////// END PROBLEM ///////
~-=-=-=-=-=-=~~Justin Eslinger~~.."BlackScar"..~~-=-=-=-=-=-=~
Advertisement
Look at the source code that he provided, and you may be able to solve your problem - I know it helped solve mine.
quote:Original post by Cloxs

Look at the source code that he provided, and you may be able to solve your problem - I know it helped solve mine.

Well, I''ve been using the source as a guide line. Since my code is D3D7 and his is D3D6, I don''t know what to look for. Another thing is, I can''t debug. When I installed DirectX on my system. I chose retail instead of debug. I thought that if I installed the debug version, I''d loose performance on my games.(But since I got a voodoo3 now, that really isn''t much of a problem) If anyone can''t read my posted code, I''ll gladly post the whole version as a zip for you. Thanks for replying!

Justin Eslinger
Try changing:

if (FAILED(lpd3d->CreateDevice( IID_IDirect3DHALDevice,
lpddsback, &lpd3dDev)))

to

if (FAILED(lpd3d->CreateDevice( IID_IDirect3DRGBDevice,
lpddsback, &lpd3dDev)))

Or, if you want, click here to download some stripped code from the Direct 3D Enumeration tutorial. Since technically Microsoft wrote this, and I''m infringing on their copyright, it will only be up for a little while.
I added this code below to replace this line at the top :
--------
if (FAILED(DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (VOID**)&lpdd,
IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL)))
{
return(0);
}
--------

And now I get an error here :

------------
if (FAILED(lpdd->QueryInterface( IID_IDirect3D7, (LPVOID *)
&lpd3d)))
{
MessageBox(g_hWnd,"Error querying the DD
interface!","Engine",MB_OK);
return(0);
}
-------------

The change I made went with the tutorial... but now I get a new error.

Justin Eslinger

///// New code //
LPDIRECTDRAW lpddTemp = NULL;

if (FAILED(DirectDrawCreate(NULL,&lpddTemp,NULL)))
{
MessageBox(g_hWnd, "Unable to get DD 1", "Engine
Problems", MB_OK);
return(0);
};

if (FAILED(lpddTemp->QueryInterface
IID_IDirectDraw7,(LPVOID *)&lpdd)))
{
MessageBox(g_hWnd, "Can''t get the lastest version",
"Engine", MB_OK);
return(0);
};