Poll : is 2D programming dead?

Started by
11 comments, last by Andrea 24 years, 1 month ago
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I still haven''t decided what API I am going to use Open GL or Direct X and from other polls I have seen the count for Open GL and Direct X are closely together. I really don''t know which one I well choose right know I am concentrating on learning C++ and once i have a grip on that I well make some serious decisions on what I well choose. What i have heard that Open GL work so well if you do not have a 3d accelerater card. However I do agree that Direct Daw isn''t the simpleist API.
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Advertisement
I think that the answer to this question relies on the specific game that you are making. If your 2D game needs alpha blending, rotations, and clipping - sure go for 3D acceleration. However, if your game is just a simple 2D game that doesn''t use alpha blending, rotations, or clipping I say go with the basic DDraw for graphics

Just my opinion on the matter.
---Ranok---
My game engine uses alpha-blending, rotation, and clipping to rectangles. Except for the alpha-blending, it runs very well in DirectDraw. I''d add code to take advantage of 3D hardware, but I have none, because I use a laptop.

Many people assume everyone is in the exact same situation they are in. Just because you have no trouble buying a 3D card doesn''t mean everyone has one. My laptop, of course, cannot be equipped with one.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement