• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much to know

This topic is 6646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I see a lot of people out there(as far as this site is concerned) that don''t know what they''re doing in C/C++. And just to clear things up, I wanted to ask everyone how much knowledge of the language and of assembly is really recquired before going into any APIs and game programming? "Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around." -Grand Theft Auto, London

Advertisement
You don''t really need any knowledge of assembly, although it sometimes helps quite a bit.

Meanwhile, you should know your language of choice quite well before attempting a robust game. Otherwise, you''ll end up spinning your wheels without quite understanding whats going on. However, simple game programming can be a great motivation and skill builder for learning a language. Since most games require knowledge in several areas, you get great practice.

I would recommend learning basic programming topics before moving to games, to reduce frustration

*oof*

Learning programming is a constant thing. You don''t ever stop learning. Just take a simple idea and find out how to implement it, you will learn new things by doing that. then take another idea find out how to implement that, and so forth and so on. there is no point in learning where you are suddenly "able to write games" i am learning c++, win32 API and DirectX7 all at once from scratch and im using a game idea (breakout) as the platform to achieve this. If you have a goal then you can use that goal to give you the drive to find out what you need to. sorry if this isn''t the clearest post ive ever written but im suffering a hangover and severe RSI pain in right arm

wytraven@kik.net

what exactly do you mean by "quite well" when you discuss how much you need to know of the language.

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

You don''t need to know assembly language to do game programming or windows API calls. Although it helps to know assembly for optimizing sections of your game that need to be fast. You can still make a whole game/windows application without knowing assembly language.

An extra thought i forgot to include in the above message:

You can read all you want, but without applying what you read you won''t learn.

Experiment. Don''t be scared to try something. I purposely wrote a program that over ran array bounds just to prove to myself that it was a problem. One lovely crash was the result, but now my brain KNOWS that what my book said IS true.

wytraven@kik.net

You can never know enough, just keep learning till you die, then maybe if you live to be 142 then you''ll know enough to write a game Or just start writing now and learn along the way, eather way will work.
Learn from your mistakes, and if you ever get stuck...
format and forget

OneEyeLessThanNone - in desperite need of new computer

Oh ya, I love assembly. It''s something that you should learn, not just because I love it though. I don''t think anyone that has learned assembly language would object to that.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!