• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 6730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

okokok im learning C right now because i only have a book on The C programming language. I will be learning C++ sooner or later, but i have a question. Is there a way to make graphical games in C, and can you make windows programs in C. just a few simple questions. I have already made a simple trivia game but that about it. If you want to find out more about my trivia game go to www.geocities.com/comprev2001

Advertisement
Not 100% sure on this one....

To make windows apps you can use the Win32 API ( assuing Win95, 98, NT or 2K ). Should be a lot of source code out there showing that. A good book to learn from is "Win32 Programming API Bible" by Waite Group Press. Has good examples. The code looks odd at first, but once you mess with it for a while it clears itself up. Should be able to find this book at a used book store if they have computer programming books.

For graphics, OpenGL is based on C. www.opengl.org will give you a lot of locations to hunt down source code. A good place to start is using glut. It provides the windows GUI to do graphics with.

If you want code, just ask. I can forward some simple apps showing win32 API and glut programs that might help you out to start with. The code was written using Visual C++ 6.0, but it works in C++ Builder.

shumner-

first of all -- c can make any program that c++ can make, just with alot more anoyance involved
windows was made and c, and windows programs can be made in c
graphics code can be done in c -- in the case of direct x accessing com without the this pointer and vtbl being hidden is annoying, but it is doable
just remember -- c and c++ just generate asm code, and they generate the same code in the end

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!