OpenGL topic

Started by
4 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 1 month ago
I''ve posted here a couple of times asking for some cool books on OpenGL. Here comes my question... what IS OpenGL? Call me stupid, call me ignorant- I don''t care. I have never really understoof what OpenGL is- is it a program where you make graphics? Is it a compiler, where you type in OpenGL programming language to render things? I am completely ignorant to what OpenGL is and does... can anyone please help a desperate, and sad sad sad guy like me? Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
Alright, let''s see if I can get this straight. OPENGL, stands for Open Graphix Library, You can say that it is another DirectX (Direct3d more like it) but a lot more easier and simpler. OpenGL is an API, Application Programming Interface, that let''s you talk directly or uhh indirectly? (correct me if I''m wrong) talk to the video card, and will let you take as much advantage of the Video Card as you can. BUT the video card''s DRIVERS need to support OpenGL, so yes it is possible to get almost ANY VIDEO CARDS to work with OPENGL, but many people(or should I say companies) are just too lazy to rewrite Drivers to support OPENGL, most graphic cards now a days do have support for OPENGL, so let''s review again. OPENGL is a Graphics Library like Direct3D or DirectDraw (more like DIrect3D) which lets you talk directly to the Video Card and take advantage of the functions that the Video card can provide. It''s easier than DirectX but ofcourse not supported by all the videocards, it''s a lot better then direcX (as many people say so) yet again, not supported by many video cards. I think I got all that right, if you have any other questions, post them and I''ll see if I can help you out.
I guess i am one of those people with a vidoe card that doesnt support OpenGL.

- Moe -

NOTE: this is not a comparison with D3D

OpenGL is a graphic library.

It is device and windows independent (it is supported by many OS and video cards).

It was introduced by Silicon Graphics but it is ''open'' to manufacturers and software developers for improvements.

If you read that a card supports OpenGL, the card really supports the API

You access it by simple C functions

It''s based on states (you control the renderer states) and you know what are you doing.

see : http://reality.sgi.com/mjk/
IpSeDiXiT
OpenGL is also widely used for rendering in graphics programs such as 3D Studio Max, Maya, PowerAnimator (right?). It''s not only a game API, and I don''t think it started as one either.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
hmmmm i don''t think that 3D Studio Max, nor Maya use OpenGL to render the final scene... I believe that, ''cause the major diference between Maya and 3D Studio Max is that Maya has a breakthrough quality rendering engine.

Also, many other reasons lead me to this conclusion, but hence i''m out of topic, i''ll keep it sort

c ''ya around.

OpenGL is an API/Wrapper over a Driver. The good thing is that the API is the same under every OS. You complile with the same code under Windows and Linux. However, the driver''s code in Windows has nothing in common to the driver''s code to Linux, and respectively to Mac, etc...
STFalcon cover''s the subject in more plain English

c ''ya
... LEMMINGS ... LEMMINGS ... LEMMINGS ... LEM..... SpLaSh!...Could this be what we stand like before the mighty One?Are we LeMmIngS or WhAt!? ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement