Microsoft's new X-Box

Started by
12 comments, last by Wraith 24 years, 1 month ago
obviously it''s DX users and not OGL users forcasting the demise of OGL. If the X-box doesn''t support OpenGL, then all i see that doing is leveling the field between OGL and DirectX, it by no means would kill OpenGL. That is, unless suddenly the only consoles left in the world are X-boxes, and the only computers Windows machines..

and this is how i see the future of the console/PC war:
i see the two, along with television (mass media in general), being consolidated together. i know it''s not a terribly original idea. but as the world gets more and more connected through technology, the most feasible solution is see is to have one high powered, efficient communications infrastructure, where cross platform will lose all meaning, because everything will be compatible with everything else.
i think microsoft also sees this, and is looking to be the force behind it. i think it''d work better if it was set up more like the internet, and the specs of internet protocols, though, otherwise of course you''d get one monopoly running it all (microsoft''s goal, though not in a negative way, i think)
i''m rambling and not making any sense.. humor me..
Advertisement
Computers I saw were made by Compaq and E-machines (right name?). On the front of these computers, string "AGP video board" was written, and I looked at the behind, the graphic connector directly came out from the motherboard, not from one of slots. So I guess we cannot replace AGP video board for these computers.

There are a few open PCI slots, so probably a PCI video board can be added, but I wonder if a new video card is compatible to already attached AGP board. It will depend on its video driver, of course, but compatibility is uncertain.

James
AA_970, if you look at my post way up at the top, you''ll notice that most of your points are covered.

1. The X-Box does support HDTV, and by the time it comes out HDTV will be much cheaper (although probably not enough to make invalidate your point).

2. The X-Box will have an ethernet card, with the idea being that most internet services will have moved past using modems to connect by the time the console comes out.

3. It has a hard drive, internet capability, and support for a keyboard.

4. You''re absolutely correct on this one =)

5. There probably won''t be much of an SDK for this console, as it uses Win32 and DirectX.

6. You''re right on this one too.

7. Yep, but I never thought it would support pc games.

8. I believe a mouse can be bought as an add-on.

Note that I''m not saying I really think this is all a good thing, I''m just saying that from a programmer''s point of view programming for the X-Box is much preferable to programming for the PC or other console systems, and it has the capabilities to rival every other system. With the X-Box OpenGL programmers would have to learn DirectX, but they would gain all the advantages of knowing exactly what the hardware supports and writing specifically for it. No more scaling content based on the user''s machine, no more having to reduce polygon counts to support more than just gamers with the highest level of hardware. I sincerely hope that Microsoft will decide to support OpenGL in their console, but I do not think that is very likely.

Wraith
BasketQase Software
Current Project: Hollow Point
[email=cdickinson@scu.edu]Wraith[/email]BasketQase Software
Hi, everyone!

OpenGL - I''ve never used it, but I would not predict any sort of demise just because the X-Box console does not support it.

Microsoft''s X-Box is going to have to compete with Sega''s Dreamcast, Nintendo''s future offerings, and Sony''s Playstation 2. Think these companies are going to take Microsoft''s competition lying down? I think not! In order for the X-Box to make a negative impact against OpenGL, it must first become a successful console - not easy to do in the current market.

Don''t expect X-Box to displace the PC either. Sure it has nice specs for a console, but by the time it is released I assure you that it won''t be so great. Advances in RAM, processor, motherboard, video, and sound technologies for the PC will always be one step ahead of the consoles - and many developers love being able to exploit technological advances as soon as they can - pushing the new hardware to its limits (ie. Freespace 2). The X-Box does not posess this advantage. While giving the X-Box certain PC capabilities (ie. mouse & keyboard attachments) is nice, remember that placement of peripherals is critical when gaming. Computer desks are fine when gaming on a computer, but when you hook up your console to the HDTV in your living room (assuming you even *have* one) how are you going to position the mouse so that you can use it comfortably? You''d need to put a table in the middle of your living room - not exactly practical considering the other things that you will probably use your living room for. Console games, as a general rule, have always been better using game pads. In addition, console games have been traditionally more expensive than computer games. Also, computers simply excel at certain types of games. Believe me, nobody wants to play Alpha Centauri or Homeworld on a console - no matter how good it is. The only way the X-Box could even come close to usurping games from the PC is by becoming as much like a PC as it can... in which case, people don''t need it because they already have one.

Having said that, I think that it''s fully possible for OpenGL to become a very prevalent development standard. Why? Because as long as the PC remains a desired gaming platform, we can expect more games in Linux - which DirectX doesn''t even support. If Linux does catch on as a platform, then maybe OpenGL''s future will be very bright.

- Peregrine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement