• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moe

dynamically changing weather

This topic is 6649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

About a week ago i came up with an idea. I thought that no one has done real time weather in a game. I thought that this could be kind of cool. just imagine a capture the flag match where the winning team gets a rain storm over thier base, to give the other team an advantage so they can catch up. when the other team gets a higher score, the weather changes so they are in a storm. I think this could be pretty cool to have. it could be neat to see 3d clouds roll in and 3d lightning strike. what do you guys/girls think of this idea? (how can i insert pictures into a forum entry? when i figure out how to do it, i will post a picture of what i mean) - Moe -

Advertisement
Good idea. I am doing something similar. I won''t say what it is. Rain will create a somewhat medium performance degrade. I already have it in my engine and it slows it down from 60 to 40 fps. That is about 5000 rain drops visible on the screen at once. The lines are 10 units long and have no vertex color.

Yeah, I''d love to see real weather patterns in games. Something you could do is use a skybox, and rotate the texture so that the clouds are over the winning team.

I think it''s a great idea!

It wouldn''t only affect the gameplay, it would also look great and give the game a special sense of atmosphere.
You could have a howling storm that would make it difficult to move outdoors, and rain and snow could affect the players health over time if he isn''t properly dressed.
And then, just as the player is about to freeze to death, the clouds break up and rays of sunlight warms his shivering body. And realtime day/night cycles, perhaps with a beautiful starry sky one night, and then horrible thunderstorms the next. Yeah, I like it!

Sorry, got a bit carried away there

*Sparkle*

Two words: Asheron''s Call!! AC has the most beautiful skies and dynamic weather patterns in any game ever. If you go to the AC web site, you can download a high-speed video of the day/night transitions in the sky and environment.. quite breathtaking.. here''s the URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/zone/asheronscall/video.htm

Personally, I''ve thought that realistic weather in games would be really cool! I''m not sure using it to control game flow is the way to go, though. I don''t think I would enjoy playing a game as much if, after gaining an edge against an opponent, the weather changed giving him an "unfair" advantage so he could catch up... Granted, if I were on the other side it might be nice, but it takes away some of the joy of winning that comes from beating a tough opponent on even terms. I would tend to lean more toward random weather paterns that effect all the players. That way, nobody gains an edge b/c of the weather, but the special effect could still be really cool! (It could still effect game play, but everyone would be effected equally.)

Yeah, realtime weather effects are cool,
I experimented with something of a similar
ilk with quake once, although it wasn''t very good.

That said, I don''t think it should be used to give
one team an advantage, it could be biased towards
the losing team though.
i.e, initially you could have chance 0.5 for red
team rain and 0.5 for blue team rain, then when
red lead 10-0, the odds change to 0.8 red team
rain, 0.2 blue team rain.

Something like that anyhow, and you gotta make it
look cool!

-Mezz

I think it could be kind of cool in a multiplayer match when one team captures the flag, some randomly selected player on the opposing team gets electricuted by lightning. That could make things pretty fun. (more modivation to capture the flag instead of just plain team wars).

i think you guys are right about the ''unfair advantage''. It should only kick in for maybe score differences >10.

i also thought it could be neat to have random tornado(es) every 10 minutes in a deathmatch. just imagine total caos breaks loose when half the players get sucked up. I think the skybox thing would probably have the best performance, but 3d clouds could be neater.

so you think this could be a promising idea?

- Moe -

(BTW, how do i insert pictures into a forum?)

The tornado idea is interesting. But the time between two tornadoes should not always be the same, or else everybody will run for cover every 10 minutes. That would be sort of comical.
And the lightning could also be fun as long as I''m not the one struck by it

What about having a meteor crashing into the opposing teams camp if you manage to capture their flag? When the enemy gets notified that their flag has been taken, they''ll have to evacuate their base in a hurry. Your own team could then be lurking outside their exits and slaughter them as they come out. BWAHAHAHAAAA!!!

I don''t know about the pictures, though. Perhaps some HTML stuff will do the trick.

*Sparkle*

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!