• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LS visual problems

This topic is 6554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making an overhead, shoot em up raiden style game.... For now I am using the land 1 files, the problem is that the Radius, height scale and tile scale are not set up for an overhead camera position so it looks like I am zzomed in to the terrain and I c like 4 big water tiles... Have a good idea on the numbers i should use??

Advertisement
Your problem is not the LS Settings, Sounds like your Terrain is too far away and being fogged to nothing. You should disable the Alpha Fogging and see if this works.

Cheers
Darrin

Edited by - Darrin on 3/11/00 11:54:25 PM

actually it is the settings because, when i played around with the values. in the load.c file i maged to get it showing but, i cant t''week the values amd i dont understand them well either...

Radius is what?
Tile scale is what?
height cslae is what?

thanx

Hi Voodoo,
Radius is the visible number of tiles. ie 20 means you can see 20 tiles from the center point or 40x40 tiles.
20 is probably recommended, as it increases it slows down dramatically.
Height is the multiply factor for the height, so if your heightmap had a pixel at 20 high & your height scale was 8, the true height would be 20x8.
TileScale is the width of the tiles. Recommend 256,512 or 1024.

So if you use
Radius = 20 (For a top down view, you should be able to reduce this value towards the edges of the screen)
Height = 8
Scale = 256
you should be right.
Also do switch off the fogging.

Cheers
Darrin

Dood, it''s not the fog I am not using it! It''s the camera position I was placing the source at 600 and target at 0 so it looked like I was zooemed in to close, wich explains the 4 huge water tiles...

Now I have the source at about 7000 on the y and it looks good, so know I just have to play around with the camera till I get the right height.

Now 2 things...

How biog should I make the terrain to have enough scrool time before it run out of terrain and to avoid repetition, bare in mind for now I have a voodoo2 and it jsut kills my machine. Also I want to place the camera all the way at the bottom edge of the terraion so i can scrool upwards. How do I finf the right length??

By the way If you want I am in for that game idea yours.

Hi Voodoo,
It is a hard call to say what would look the best for the style of game you are doing.
You could probably get away with setting your Radius at 6-10 and shifting your camera up and down until you can''t see the edges of the terrain.
This would allow approx 10 screens with a 128x128 terrain before you had to repeat again.

Cheers
Darrin

Well, D-Man

It''s going to be totally overhead and when the ship moves left or right there will be some slack so the train will move a couple pixels left or right

• Advertisement