• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unique landscape texturing

This topic is 6551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am developing a landscape engine in OpenGL. I was wondering how people implemented unique textures for the landscape. It seems that generating a new texture based on a few "base" textures is the way most people go, my question is how to generate the unique texture from the base textures. Thanks

Advertisement
This might not be what you want to know, but you could use a bitmap to describe your terrain. To do this, have each pixel in the bitmap represent a unit of area on your map, and have the color of the pixel represent it''s altitude. This way higher regions on your bitmap will be darker while lower elevations will be lighter, or vice versa.

SPAR1

That''s called height mapping or displacement mapping, and that''s not what Premandrake wants to do, I think.

I don''t know much about landscape generation and textures, but I think a good way of doing it is to seamlessly tile textures together and/or use multitextures to create the look of non-repeated textures. But if this is slow or not, I dunno.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

• Advertisement