New game genre...

Started by
16 comments, last by kill 24 years, 1 month ago
Well, I am not saying that the game should simulate everything, like the world in the matrix. If someone makes that game, I'd love to see it, and even more, I'd love to see how it runs on my machine

Making a player deal with a scripting language is stupid, even if it's set in a nice user interface. Noone will ever play that game.

Every game on the market has certain rules. Whether it's tetris, starcraft, or mario. There is no way to make a generic game. It's simply not feasible.

How about the idea of letting the player control the gravity, the strength of certain units, the amount of resources, etc.? It means that the designer doesn't need to spend time balancing the game. The player will simply play around with the balance, and the AI will do it's job of adapting to it.

Edited by - kill on 3/13/00 1:48:32 PM
Advertisement
Just a small comment, I can''t go into detail but I have an idea that I''ve been working on for a few years now that takes this reversed approach. Instead of actually playing a game with your character, you creat your character and a world/scenario for it to play in and then watch what happens. The point of my message is that this kind of idea is definately worth pursuing if only to freshen up the gaming world.

wytraven@kik.net
www.geocities.com/wytraven_2000

There is nothing real outside our perception of reality. Is there?
[email=wytraven@kik.net]wytraven@kik.net[/email]There is nothing real outside our perception of reality. Is there?
Another problem is that a game that does not chalenge the user is not exciting. If there was a game where you were God, it would get boring because no one could touch you.

Yes, rules are constraints on the virtual world in the game, but it has to exist to create a satisfactory experience. For example, a racing game limits you to racing. If it was Matrix Racing(TM), you could just say "give me wings and a jetpack" and you fly over the other cars and win. But you ALWAYS win - that game would get very boring very fast.

The last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion explains how creating a universe creates limitations on the creator. You might want to watch it (although it is very confusing to some people).

---
Grandpa Simpson - "I never thought I could shoot down a German plane, but last year I proved myself wrong!"
---Grandpa Simpson - "I never thought I could shoot down a German plane, but last year I proved myself wrong!"
The idea is, that you don''t create the universe, and then play in it. The idea is that you create the universe for others to play in.

There are games that proved to be a lot of fun doing something like this. Creatures, for example.
Well, I believe your idea is pretty nice. When I read it I thought of the holo - deck in Star Trek.
So I guess if you really wanted to create a game like this you''d have to program an intelligent AI first! Then one would tell this intelligence "Create a science fiction scenario where I can shoot some maschines in a starship" or something like that and this intelligence would create a world like that. I''m not as mad as to try to program something like that so someone else has to.....

But we should be carefull... perhaps this intelligence is so intelligent that it will put us in a matrix and play its own games...... so far.
Yeah whatever... you''ve been watching too many movies
I think this sort of game has already been done,if you want to place objects and then let the computer interact with the objects that you placed then I would say check out "Black & White" or "The Sims"
Black and White is still and development(is it?), and the Syms suck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement