Question about Maths...

Started by
6 comments, last by Zeighter 24 years, 1 month ago
Hello... I have some questions about maths.. 1. Do you have do be an Maths Geni, to programe ? 2. What maths is good to relly be good at ?
Advertisement
1. No, but it helps.

2. Trigonometry and linear algebra.
I agree with spellbound, but you also might want some basic statistics - depending on what your doing.
No math or physics required. You can always use constant velocity. I''m working on a 2D game where I''m using constant acceleration and am thinking of adding friction/drag to my bombs. So far the action using advanced math is so much more realistic than it would be otherwise. My mind just boggles with the possibilities of what I can achieve with higher math. You''ll be limiting yourself if you didn''t try using more math in your programs and besides it''s fun. For starters just use simple math but as you become more advanced programmer try to incorporate physics into your code. Cheers

Jerry
Actually, you have to know some maths to do 2D games too, I''ve realized that along with the fact that I do suck on maths. My brain gets fried everytime it involves more than two operations and numbers higher than 10. (I should have done that MathB class too...)

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
What it boils down to, is that the more realism you want, the more math you need. For a 2D game the minimum math you need is arithmetic (adding, subtracting, multiply, divide). For a 3D game you better know linear algerbra and basic trig as Spellbound suggests. Calculus becomes very useful as you start to derive things for yourself rather than going off how-tos and articles.
Hi,

To USE equations such as those for 3d-rotation, translation etc don''t require that much knowledge.

But if you want to actually know whats going on in the black-box to optimize or make your own physics-engine, then you need an elementary knowledge of linalgebra,multi-dimensional calculus...

/Mankind gave birth to God.
If you''re planing to build a 3D engine, you better have to study now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement