• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

casper

Which language is easier for map editor: VC++,Borland C++, Win32 API

This topic is 6648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello fellow gamers, I''m working on a game with other programmers and my task is too create an map editor. I know C++, but I don''t know enough about Borland C++ Builder, VC++, or Win32 programming(non-MFC), to make an intellingent decision about which vendor to use for my editor(gui and coding) ). Since the editor is not a game speed is not an issue. I just need to know which one would be more efficient to use to build the gui and to use as my code base. This is really frustrating because I need to get going and I don''t want to go down an inefficient path when it can be avoided . Your suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, casper

Advertisement
choose the compiler you want between visual c++ and borland c++, it doesn''t matter, but personnally would suggest vc++, and of course you will need to use the win32 api to make your editor if you want it to be a windows program. and dont search for the win32 api sdk, it is included in vc++.

cyberg

I recomend Visaul Basic. Have you ever used it? To create a user interface you need only to click and drag; amazing...simply amazing.

I usually do all my work with the Win32 API and VC++, but for creating things like a map editor I see no reason to not give VB a try. It will save you a lot of time. I''ve found that programming in VB is not much differnt than programming in C++ if you''re useing the Win32 API.

I find C++ Builder especially well suited for applications like map editors. You''ve got the ease of user interface creation of VB, and because it''s in C++, you can leverage existing source code from your game inside the program. And with C++ Builder you need to touch remarkably little of the Win32 API.

It''s just beautiful. ::sob::

Am I the only one that uses a DOS compiler for this?
I am using DJGPP (32 bits C++) to make a map editor. I''ll convert the structs with the pragma pack command.

In my humble opinion, Visual C++ is really pushing its luck calling itself 'Visual' when compared to C++ Builder or even Visual Basic. I recommend one of those 2 environments to make any kind of tool, with C++ Builder preferred as you can cut and paste in your game functions/#include the correct headers to share code/link in libraries from your main code (delete as applicable, dependent on experience level )

Visual C++ makes it a chore to do some of the simplest interface tasks. I remember reading a large section in a textbook on how to get a drop-down combo box onto a toolbar by adding a placeholder control of some other type and then swapping them at runtime in code. In C++ Builder, you just drag one on there. Done.

Edited by - Kylotan on 3/13/00 9:49:33 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!