• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Porting Graphics to my game

This topic is 6554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here''s my set up. Me and my friend would like to make some cool 2d games. I''m the programmer (C/C++) and he''s the artist (his name is Ryan, and he''s a 3d Studio Max artist [been really good friends since grade 7]). I want to know what type of things I need to know to use his .max and .3ds files as the graphics in my games. Do I need to use Direct X, or OpenGL to kind of, "ship" his graphics in my game? I''m totally ignorant about using graphics in my game, but if you can help me by telling me what I need to know to port his .3ds files over into the game to be used, I''d be very grateful! Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)

Advertisement
First of all you need to know how to load the file. You can find the relevant description of the file format on Wotsit.

When you have loaded the model into your program, which will give you a bunch of triangles, you can start rendering it either with OpenGL or Direct3D.

I belive you said a 2D Game ? In that case just have him pre render the images for you then load them up like any graphic, have him save it as a bmp file.

Specifics all depend on the type of game you plan to make and the angle or point of view of that game. Will it be an Isometric style game or flat 2D ?

Since you are working in 2D, mmrpg''s suggestion that you render it to a .bmp is what usually done. The nice thing about having a 3D model is you can rotate the figure giving you easily(discounting the modelling effort) different frames of animation. If you can move the models'' body-parts, then you can set up a walking and movement cycle.

ZoomBoy
A 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site

And once I have a collection .bmp''s that, when stringed together, make a movement animation, I can then use OpenGL to render that animation and every other graphic to the screen?

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)

First of all, I''m sorry I missed that you said you wanted 2D graphics.

Bitmaps in a 2D graphics game can easily be rendered with quads, i.e. glBegin(GL_QUADS). If you set up the transform matrices carefully, you can even give the bitmaps coordinates in screen coordinates, then the quads would work just as blits with GDI or DirectDraw.

Aw cool! I think I''ve got most of it now... I was hoping to do a game similar to style of Chrono Trigger, but with much better graphics (hence, 3d Stduio Max). Anyhow... I think that''s a long way off for now. Thanks again!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)

• Advertisement