• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playstation 2 Linux developers kit

This topic is 5744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have three questions about the kit. 1. What programming language does the development kit use? 2. Is there a 3D modeler included? 3. Is thera a language reference in the package? I´m sorry for the bad english.

Advertisement
I forgot two querstions.
4. Is the language a compiled or an interpreted language?
5. Is the development kit worth the money? What can i do with it?

1. Its linux so you can use any language that Linux can - but it comes out of the box with gcc (an implementation of C/C++)

2. No.

3. No. But any C/C++ programming book will do.

4. Compiled.

5. Whether it is worth the money depends on what you want to do with it. You can run Linux applications on it and make you own Linux applications. What you *cannot* do is:
* Make games that can run without the Linux kit.
* Make games that makes full use of the machine since Linux uses a lot of the already low amount of RAM.
If this is acceptable for you then it is worth the money.

1. Any language that compiles under Linux.
2. No.
3. No, but you do get the system manuals for the hardware.
4. Depends on what language you use.
5. I don''t know yet, mine is supposed to show up Friday! Read the FAQ to see what it can do.

Maybe I''m just being negative but what''s the point of buying it? A PC with linux does the same thing no?

Not that I am going to buy it myself but the reasons are several:

* You want a PC-like machine by your TV.

* You want to experiment with writing applications/games for a PS2. Many hobbiest finds this reason enough in itself.

* And then there is those that aspire to get a job as PS2 developers - in that case knowledge of the Linux kit will be an advantage since much of things given with the Linux kit is the same as in the real one.

But I think people should be warned that Linux is not for the faint-hearted. If a user are only used to Windows then using this kit (or Linux in general) will be a culture-chock.

quote:

But I think people should be warned that Linux is not for the faint-hearted. If a user are only used to Windows then using this kit (or Linux in general) will be a culture-chock.

It most likely will be at first extremely different and difficult to use for many, but anyone can pick up how to use Linux within little time. *(I''m using a dist. of Linux for this posting )

quote:
Original post by Dark Rain
Maybe I'm just being negative but what's the point of buying it? A PC with linux does the same thing no?

Yes, but a PS2 without the kit doesn't do what a PC does - however _with_ the kit the PS2 becomes like another PC.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on May 29, 2002 11:28:21 PM]

• Advertisement