Making a 3D game...

Started by
19 comments, last by Lode 21 years, 10 months ago
Because it''s almost summer vacation, I plan to try to make a 3D game during the vacation. This may sound crazy, but can I at least try? I love challenges I think the first thing I need is a 3D engine, that I also want to make myself. I plan to use OpenGL. Does OpenGL also support keyboard and mouse input? If not I think I''ll use SDL because I''ve got experience with that. Or is there a better alternative than SDL? I''ve got no experience in OpenGL, so are there some good tutorials on how to make a simple 3D engine in it, or open source examples? After I got this 3D engine I think I''ll need some sort of file format for maps, and the ability to make them. Are there any standards for this? And then the hardest part I think: modeling. Maybe I''ll just use 2D sprites for this, like Wolf3D, but what do you think. Is there free and easy software to make 3D models? Animated models, even... What file format should these have? Well, please reply, even if I never get into making the game, then at least I''ve got a general idea in how this happens, because I''m interested Thanks.
Advertisement
NeHe has the best tutorials on the net for openGL, the links at gamedevs hosted sites.
NeHe has 37 OpenGL tutorials and 7 OpenGL game tutorials. It is a good place to start. If you are working full time on this, you should be able to go through the tutorials fairly quickly.

OpenGL is a graphics only API. You can use Win32 API or DirectInput for input. Both are pretty easy to use.

I don''t think there is really a standard. Quake uses multiple maps for a single level, one for objects, one for lighting, one for sound. It depends how complex you are going to get. You can even invent your own file format.

MilkShape3D is a good modeler. It only costs $20US. A free one is Maya. Some people swear by it, but I don''t like it. I think it doesn''t like Windows to much.

If you goto Wotsit, it lists a very large number of file format specs. A couple that are used in 3D games are .md3 or .x

One note, NeHe''s tutorials use keyboard input using the Windows API. This should help with your input problems.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Me == Resource.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to IM me at ''zealouselixir'' or email me at the address below.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Cool ZealousElixir, I''ll remember it for when I start (right after my exams)

CaptainJester: is Maya free??????????
quote:Original post by Lode
Cool ZealousElixir, I''ll remember it for when I start (right after my exams)

CaptainJester: is Maya free??????????
free trial i think... if you are not selling the game, just use truspace 5 or 3d studio max for modeling.

Metal Typhoon
If you''re talking about the Maya learning edition it doesn''t save in real formats, so it would be better to go with milkshape or 3dsmax or openfx.
3DS Max? isnt that a whole bunch of money?
I believe Autodesk has given up the futile SPA crusade, and actually has a free personal edition of 3D Max available now.

Drunken Hyena has some good tutorials for Direct3D, modeled after the NeHe ones.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Magmai: FYI, I believe wxWindows is now located at http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement