• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zimans

Engine Architecture

This topic is 6014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve just started on a new project and i''ve been thinking alot about the architecture of the software. My old way of thiking was that i would have a Gfx class that would handle all rendering whatsoever, and it would provide objects that other parts of the program could manipulate to manipulate the object. The new model i''ve been thinking about is spreading the rendering around into various classes that encapsulate objects. For instance thee is an entity class, wich is used for any computer controlled object. Then there''s the ship class wich is a more full-featured version of the entity class since this is the players ship. I also have a particle class that I can just create, give it some params and a position and it will spawn particles. In this latter description everything takes care of rendering itself. The graphics class becomes simply the CDisplay class, wich inits the display and DirectGraphics objects and thats it. There are however still some specific classes for such things as input, sound/music, networking etc. I guess what I''m asking is if this approach is a good idea, and if anyone has any other good ideas of pointers to a better approach. I know this is a bit of an application specific question, but i''m still curious as to what others think. Plus somethines a comment from an outside opinion can spur inspiration to a better design.. -Zims

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!