• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benhus

Moving to VC++.NET or not?

This topic is 5986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m an experienced VB/VB.NET programmer for win and web apps. I''m pretty new to making games, so I have a few questions. Is VB.NET(with DirectX) a good language to make games in? Or do you recommend me to learn VC++.NET? I know that each .NET language is equally powerfull for win and web apps. Does the same apply for making games? Should I stick with VB.NET....with the advantage of being able to use my current knowledge? Or do you recommende me to learn VC++.NET? Andy advice would be great! Thanks. Ben

Advertisement
VC.NET is a much better language for game developing, because you can controll all of the low level stuff by yourself. Also it''s much faster.
But be aware that it''s much more difficult to use and you need more time to do the same in VC than in VB.

Probably no one will reply because this may end in an C/C++ VB war.

Use the language which you like more

I''ve no intention to start a language war. I just want people''s honest advice.

Thanks for the replies.

well, you need people''s advice, i''ll give you mine.

i was an experienced vb programmer a year ago. i covered subclassing, directx, and all those hardcore stuff, and i had a lot of fun with vb. however, i knew people used c/c++ in making games, but i still used vb. articles, sample codes on the internet (about making games and directx) all are written in c/c++ language, and it really pissed me off.

at that time, i knew C already, but i didn''t know how to program in windows using C language. so, i stick with vb. but then, there was a time when i fully decided to move to c++. i was forcing myself to learn all those API jargons nonsense, just for the sake of making games in the future. and now, i''m a completely c/c++ programmer (abandon vb 100%) and use directx.

let me be honest with you. if you want to be a game programmer, you HAVE TO learn c/c++ no matter what. the reason is: that''s the language that game companies need from their prospective developers. even though you''re applying for a playstation game developer, they need c/c++, not Basic.
so, my advice: move to VC.NET to practice your c/c++ skill. if you don''t know c/c++, you have to learn it from DOS/UNIX first, that''s the risk you have to take. don''t hang around in DOS for a long time, just grab the basic, and move to windows. after getting the concept of using API, move to DirectX, and you''re done. seriously, it''s worth it to learn C++ and using VC.NET.

We''re a C/C++ house here, using MSVC 6.0, and I''m still evaluating the move to .NET. VS.NET uses the next rev of the compiler, which has bug fixes, efficiency improvements, better error reporting--all plusses. Unfortunately, MS also rev''d up the CRT and MFC looks like it underwent drastic changes, so we''re probably not going to move to .NET any time soon (maybe by end of year?).

I don''t want to make games for my profession, just for fun. But I suppose I need to switch to VC++.NET.
I probably gonna do that I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

quote:
Original post by benhus
I don''t want to make games for my profession, just for fun. But I suppose I need to switch to VC++.NET.
I probably gonna do that I guess.

for fun? here''s some more suggestions:
what''s your dream profession? web developer? server administrator? whatever it is you know what you need to fill in those jobs. if you think that you need C/C++ language in the future, go ahead move to C/C++. but if you dont, don''t bother learning C/C++. you know vb already, and if you say that you make games for fun, go ahead and make it in vb. the greatest thing for a game programmer is to see his game works. instead of spending your time getting comfy with VC.NET features and the language itself, it''s better for you to start writing the actual game in the language you know.

Life is fair.
-Albert Tedja-

By "for fun" I mean it''s not gonna be my profession, however I intend to spend a lot of time on it. Years ago I started with VB for fun. I mean when I''m gonna do something...I''m gonna do it good! Even if it''s gonna cost me a lots of lots of time, and even if it means I gonna have to curse a lot;-) So, I''m willing to learn C++.

Some of you say VB.NET is much slower than VC.NET
But does using VB.NET result in a big big big lack of performance?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!