Moving to VC++.NET or not?

Started by
24 comments, last by benhus 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Doolwind
Firstly, VC++.NET and VB.NET are the same speed. Everything is compiled down the the CLR

Not entirely true. Only Managed C++ is compiled to the CLR, unmanaged C++ (which is most likely what you will use for games) compiles to native code.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Advertisement
whát''s CLR ?? sorry for the dumb question
Metal Typhoon
er..... has anyone suggested using both? That''s one of the reasons .NET is so neat.

Should you find yourself needing low level C++ things, use C++ for those things. VB will work nicely as a high level "glue" language to manage all the components.

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".
"There is only one everything"
Not sure if this is possible but I wish vc++ .net would come with windows form designer and that the .net layer could be used w/out garbage collector using c++ .net. C# and .net is out of the question for me because of lack of speed in dx8 and 3D engine/tools. Basically I just want .net to be native because the api has lots of very useful functions that I wish were in the mfc but aren''t.
I just want to point out a really cool feature on Visual Studio .NET. You probably already know this, but what the heck, no one mention this before.
In VS.NET you can work in multiple languages. You can actually create a program written in both C++ and VB without using dll or stuff like that. A class declared in C++ can be used in VB without having to compile it first to an external file, such as a dll.

So, if you have this:

// in C++ projectclass MyClass {...};'in VB projectDim Something As MyClass      

I never try this, but it's possible (I saw a Microsoft programmer did that, but he used C# and VB -- promotions --). But I don't know if this is good for games or not.

Life is fair.
-Albert Tedja-

[edited by - nicho_tedja on June 1, 2002 12:34:23 AM]

[edited by - nicho_tedja on June 1, 2002 12:34:53 AM]
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Another neat thing is that the debugger will step across languages, which fits in neatly with what nicho_tedja was saying above.

.Net as a way of doing things definitely has some cool things about it. I do not see whole games done in C# or "managed" C++ as being a good idea, but there are certainly possibilitles. For scripting purposes it might come in really handy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement