Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't get a Rendering Context

This topic is 5711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just starting the NeHe tutorial #1 for Windows, and while I think I understand the tutorial, there wasn''t a whole lot on how to debug it if something should fail. I love how there is a lot of error trapping in CreateGLWindow(), but now what do I do if wglCreateContext() returns NULL? What should I be looking for? Never speak in Absolutes. -me

wglCreateContext

ensure that the calls to "ChoosePixelFormat" and "SetPixelFormat" returned no errors as well, and support the pixel formats requested....

what video card are you using?

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

You know, it probably would help a great deal if I ensured that my hardware supports OpenGL wouldn''t it?

I just started playing around with this at work, and it is very likely that my video cards don''t support it.

One of my computers has a Matrox Millenium G400, and I am running in dual head. My other machine is using ATI 3D Rage Pro.

Should I be looking these up on a hardware list to findout if the support it?

I have 3 Win 98 machines at home, and I know that they do have OpenGL cards. I just never used anything at work with OpenGL before.

I''m just staring out with this kind of programming. Why did I pick OpenGL over DirectX ? Well, I''ve gotten used to the idea of open standards and software.

Never speak in absolutes.
-me

WUPS!!!
Thanks, I was missing the call to SetPixelFormat().

I guess that''s the whole point of a tutorial.
Thanks for the reply, jenova!

Never speak in absolutes.
-me