• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge Slowdown in Fullscreen

This topic is 5807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I went through the NeXe tutorials (I just needed a boost as I can read most the SDK, and its not exactly the nexe stuff) but I have noticed that when running windowed mode i get about 600fps, while in fullscreen mode i get about 60fps. My monitor refresh is at 75hz, so I don''t think it could be that. Is it just the refresh? or does anyone know of anything i might be doing wrong.

Advertisement
I have two ideas for you to try without having to do much to the code:
1) To test whether you are flipping only during the vertical retrace/sync (the electron beam is going back up to the top of the monitor, so it''s the best time to draw without tearing) add DDFLIP_NOVSYNC to the Flip() call: lpDDSPrimary->Flip(NULL, DDFLIP_WAIT | DDFLIP_NOVSYNC); If the frame rate doesn''t improve then mess around with your video card settings and turn vsync off, then try again.
2) Triple buffering can improve speed. This is easy in direct X... just set the back buffer count to 2.

Hope this helps.

quote:
Original post by Xgkkp
My monitor refresh is at 75hz, so I don't think it could be that.

I wouldn't be so sure. You only set your refresh rate for a given resolution and bit depth. So, if your desktop is set to, say, 1280*1024*32 and you're switching to 1024*768*16 in fullscreen mode, your refresh rate may change.

[edited by - Prosper/LOADED on May 30, 2002 7:37:01 AM]

Well, I''m not really replying to your question (the last) but it''s a bad idea not to sync to the refresh. You will get tearing issues if you do not do so. This will cause one half (or other combination) of your screen to be frame X, while the other is frame Y. So if you have fast moving objects, they will not appear properly aligned.

Remember, you''re not loosing any large amounts of time. In a game (or app, whatever) you will end up filling that free time in with AI, further rendering, etc. Worst case scenario is when you run below 60 (or what your refresh is).

-tim

• Advertisement