• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Micro_Man

??? What is AI (really) ???

This topic is 5820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Progammers, I have been reading alot of computer mags lately about programming, and they have all talked alot about AI and how useful it is and what it does. But I got One question... What is AI, and how can a beginner programmer can start making AI programs??? This also leads up to a second question. Can a beginner programmer make AI programs??? Although I have been programming alittle for the past 2-3 years I still think that I know very little, and I would really like to learn more about this subject.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Micro_Man
Can a beginner programmer make AI programs???

My opinion is, no. AI is (in most cases) by far too complex for ''beginners’.
If you have already bin programming for about 2-3 years, I suppose you don’t have to call yourself a beginner. Go ahead and try! Go to the resources section and read the AI (If any) tutorials.

There are many levels of AI. If you're a beginner, you can do "beginner's" AI, which I guess would include a program that responds to user input by chopping parts out of what the user says. On the graphics side of things, you could make something to follow the cursor around.

>Hi
>Hello, sir!
>I have weasels in my groin.
>You have weasels in your groin, you say!
>Yes
>Oh my.

Um, yeah.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[edited by - zealouselixir on May 29, 2002 6:33:02 PM]

According to AI experts, there is no official definition of AI. Everybody has his own definitions.

For me, AI is not that complex because AI has many different fields. Some fields are too complex for beginners, some field are understandable for beginners. To understand AI, you don't have to be a programmer. Thus, a beginner programmer does not necessarily cannot make an AI program. In fact, I think AI is one of the applied science of psychology (not computer science/engineering or whatever) because it's about study of human behavior and people try to simulate it in computer because they realize the ability of computers to calculate numbers really fast so that it can make a "correct" decision out of thousands of possible choices in a short period of time.

Life is fair.
-Albert Tedja-

[edited by - nicho_tedja on May 29, 2002 6:38:15 PM]

Right on the basis of it, AI is making something artificial appear to have some form of intelligence. Most easily applied to computers as they can be programmed. That is about the only thing that can be said.

AI can be anything from a simple rule set to complex mathematical representations (neural nets). If you are new to coding (or inexperienced), and want to get your feet wet in AI, Timkin suggested in another thread to do a rock-paper-scissors. This would be a good start point. Other good games are noughts and crosses, and pawns (like chess, except the only pieces on the board are pawns).

All of the above programs are relatively easy to implement to a point where they work. Then the fun begins with the AI code

regards,

GeniX

www.cryo-genix.net

quote:
Original post by GeniX
Right on the basis of it, AI is making something artificial appear to have some form of intelligence.

I agree with GeniX, AI is ANYTHING artificial that appears to have some form of intelligence.

While a few people have suggested Rock-Paper-Scissors, I personally think that an AI for it would be much more complex than for tic-tac-toe, unless you know what you are doing. There aren''t many options for ai for rock-paper-scissors, but there are many ways to ''solve'' tic-tac-toe. My first AI was an ''expert system'' for tic-tac-toe, which is basically a bunch of if statements that cover all possible moves and responses, tho I think that before I implemented a complete rule set I made the observation that the game can be simplified to a few simple rules instead of hundreds. I shant list the few rules that are ''generally a good idea'' so that you can have the fun of solving the game youself. But, tic-tac-toe can also be solved many other ways from the very simple expert system to the more complex self-training neural network. I can only think of one ''good'' way to solve Rock-Paper-Scissors, so I personally would suggest you try a simple text-based tic-tac-toe game.

Yes, a beginner can write AI programs, but a beginner makes beginner AI programs and not the harder stuff. Once you get the hang of the simple stuff, you can look around on the net for tutorials on more complex methods.

"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous

quote:
Original post by GeniX
All of the above programs are relatively easy to implement to a point where they work. Then the fun begins with the AI code

GeniX makes a very good point. Learning to program a Game AI does not necessitate programming a complex game. Pick a game that you are familiar with and that you feel you could code an interface for. It doesn''t have to be a GUI... it can just be a console text interface.

Then tackle the AI. Something like Tic-Tac-Toe is a good place to start because you can apply many different decision making techniques to the game AI: search, classifier systems and even neural networks. This first game can be a test-bed and learning environment for a lot of AI techniques. You''ll more than likely want to start out implementing a brute force search, then move on to minimax and alpha-beta pruning. Once you have these techniques in the bag, you''ll be in a good position to learn other techniques like decision theory and learning algorithms.

For a beginner AI programmer Tic-Tac-Toe will be a sufficient challenge, but not too far out of reach.

Make sure you read the Articles & Resources section for information and use the web where appropriate. There is a heap of information out there. Of course, if there''s something that you don''t understand, feel free to ask for help in this forum. That''s what we''re here for!

Cheers,

Timkin

Cool, I guess I''ll start with something simple. Like tic tac toe or rock-paper-sissors. I just wanna get the hang of it before I go on to bigger and better things. Not that I could get to much better things till I learn to code better. I have been programming on and off for 2 years so far, I know somethings and I have no idea about others. But, I am learning

Thanks for your input

See ya

AI: a very clever name given to a field of study too broad and too vast to rightly be classified under one common name.

It''s a clever sales pitch indeed: the name AI conjures up thoughts of HAL and the ultimate technological utopia seen in Star Trek. Basically, it was (and still is) a great way for researchers to snap up investment dollars for their projects. At one point any and every project included the words "artificial intelligence" as their prime selling point. (see also" "genome" and "military")

*sigh* Am I jaded or what?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!