I finished my game!!!! WOW!!!!!

Started by
9 comments, last by Abort_Retry_Fail 21 years, 10 months ago
I''ve just finished my first major C++/DirectDraw game! This is the coolest! It''s a 2D platform/puzzle game, kind of like Lemmings, called "Bloblings". You control a blob character that sub-divides into smaller blobs, but you have to control them all simultaneously, so it''s really tricky! Please check it out here: www.gamescripting.com/blobmain.html
Advertisement
Very nice. One of the few original puzzle/arcade games i''ve seen in a while. I like the blob effects for loading + starting each level. You might look at having more specials ( I''m at work, so i only played the first few levels, maybe you have more ) that create / split / combine blobs. Maybe an annoying level where your blob keeps growing and splitting, and the point isn''t to return all your bloblings to the spiral, but to get rid of them before they spawn more.

Nice looking first game. Good animation.

You might look at using the ENTER keys as well as the spacebar for menus and bind the ESC key to exit/return.
The game seems to run fine for me, but it looks like this:
Bitmap errors.
Win 98 SE, GeForce 3, Direct X 8.1

I was running at 1024x768, 32 bit.
BTW, you seem to have left the .pch file in the zip, I don't think that's needed.

[edited by - TravisWells on May 29, 2002 10:15:55 PM]
Hmm... those blurry patterns definetely seem to resemble level 1....

Is this a one-time glitch, or does it keep happening? The game should be setting the Display Mode to 8-bit color.

(P.S. This game version is 60 levels long (6 worlds at 10 levels each))
It does set it to 256 colors, and it happens every time I run it.
Well, I was all ready to download, hit the d/l button and up it comes, 17MB! no thanks. with the connection that I have it will take around 2.4 hours!

Your site looks nice, if the theme is from the game then so much the better. one suggestion though, change the used hyperlinks to the same color as the unused ones. On a small site like that users will remember where they went. Besids, the red is hard to see on the black background.

Keep Shining

Ultimate Power Leads To Ultimate Corruption
(I can''''t remember who said that)
Keep ShiningUltimate Power Leads To Ultimate Corruptionhttp://soldat.ionichost.com
i get the same problem where all the graphics are like TravisWells''

dang, was looking forward to playing it...
Cool i like it.

I guess you probably know already but it doesn''t play nice with ALT-TAB or CTRL-ATR-DEL which is a shame.

quote:Original post by disgracelands
I guess you probably know already but it doesn''t play nice with ALT-TAB or CTRL-ATR-DEL which is a shame.

That''s because the fucking surfaces, buffers and everything is lost when the task is changed and this is a real pain in the ass... not only for playing but for developing because if you go to debug you cannot return to the game.

The best is implement ALWAYS the error checking to know if surfaces were lost and arrange it but when you are programming your game at the begginning you want it to work, without doing that heavy tasks.

IT IS TIME to found the ''Surfaces Should Magically Recover Assotiation''

By the way, I think that after the first game in which you try to implement things in the correct way after doing it bad (i mean, implementing ALL the error checking and recovery functions in a later stage), for the second everyone does it from the begginning. And advice: don''t doubt it, do it well from the first line of code.
-=[ J ]=-I always forget to change the tagline.
Well you could always use the windows message pump to monitor for loss of focus then save the data and send the program to sleep. When the focus is recieved whatever you need can be restored.

Yep, it''s still a pain in the ass but it''s easier than going through all of the code chcking for lost surfaces.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement