• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UML- Questions on Unified Modeling Language

This topic is 5809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently taking a class on C++. And have heard good referrals about UML (Unified Modeling Language). I know there are tons of sites on it cause I checked Google. From what I gather it has to do with OO design, only more fundadmentally structured. Correct? I just want to know, from your perspecive of programming, specifically game programming, how is this beneficial in a project? How have you used it? And to reveal more of my ignorance, UML is not a language in of itself like C++ or Java, etc., correct??? "I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"

Advertisement
Correct on both accounts... It has to do with OO and it''t not a programming language. UML is a tool for designing applications, at least that''s what it''s mostly used for.

UML defines at set of tools that is most helpful when designing object-oriented programs. Check out http:\\www.rational.com

K.

PS: Can you tell I''m drunk

quote:
Original post by Gamersez
I just want to know, from your perspecive of programming, specifically game programming, how is this beneficial in a project? How have you used it?

Very useful, although to be honest from the perspective of games programming has no relevance whatsoever. It''s very useful from the perspective of any type object oriented programming.

There''s a long winded debate about this in the software engineering forum if you want to track it down. The gist is UML is virtually useless for one man teams (think you), counter-productive for small focused teams (think ID), and undoubtably beneficial if the project exceeds 700 man days (guys at BioWare should have used it on NeverWinter Nights).

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows]

So it''s useless for small teams? Okay, I''ll learn it later for fun. Thanks everyone! Oh, and Magmai, I love the links you provide

"I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"

• Advertisement