• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultra_combat

Learning directX

This topic is 5925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently learning DirectX from a book. DO you think i am learning the right way? Or should I just get tuts from online? Any sugestions?

Advertisement
Learning from a book is fine. It''s usually easier to read from a book becuase it''s all right there and each chapter builds on the last. You''ll be jumping all over the place if your trying to learn off the net (unless it''s someplace like NeHe).

The fact with tutorials is that there are good ones... and there are bad ones... and the same happens with books, so I think it's probably a good idea to get the basics from a book and complement with the info in tutorials.
I really started with the SDK Tuts, and only recently get one book (is difficult to get a programming book here). I also take a look at tutorials if they have something interesting to offer.
One thing good about books is that they (usually) have the same conventions from beginning to end, so its probably easier to follow that tutorials disperse on the net (talking from a begginer point of view, of course).
In any case, tutorials (like kind of articles) can be very good when they build around one specific topic, like "Sky domes? yeah, were I saw that kick-ass sky-dome tutorial?", you know.
Hey, I'm still learning but one thing I have learned is that beside books, tuts, and the like, the most important thing to do very very very very much code (yes, that much).

Anyone agrees here?

[edited by - Neodraco on May 29, 2002 9:45:23 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!