• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pixel_Sticks

What is the .NET craze???

This topic is 5914 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im sorry if this has been posted before but i am noticing that a lot of topics now are inquiring about microsofts .net. My question is what is this? I have been using VC++ for the longest time and i am jsut curious if my VC++ 6 compiler is becoming obsolete. Any helpfull information of links would be appreciated. "Poor is the pupil that does not surpass the master"

Advertisement
It is heavy advertisement. Basicly saying that VC++.net can do everything C++ can do. YAHOOOO!

The difference is, from what I can determine, one is a little bit slower because it runs on a VM.

quote:
Original post by Cherez
The difference is, from what I can determine, one is a little bit slower because it runs on a VM.

That''s not really true. Even if you do compile for the .NET framework (which I don''t suggest unless you actually know why you should, or whatever) it is handled in a JIT-style manner.

Ok, slightly slower loading time then. I''m happy with just plain old, free, open-source Dev-C++, what is the difference between that and VC++?

.Net is the marketing name for the current generation of stuff coming out of Microcost.

Part of it is a Java-like VM that executes ''assemblies''. The .Net VM implementation is currently available on recent Win32 platforms (95 & NT4 are not officially supported). An implementation is underway for bsd.

There''s also a new IDE (that sucks IMO), a new C++ compiler (which is better*), and a new VB language (that for the first time, doesn''t totally suck). Then there''s C# which is everything bad about VB and nothing good about C++ put together - just like Java (jk ).

The C++ compiler can emit native code or MSIL (the language of the .Net VM). They added ''managed extensions'' to C++, that let you use the CLR (common language run-time), which is a hierarchy of stuff (like windows and socket classes), again much like Java.
The VB & C# compilers only emit MSIL. Other .Net flavors (languages) are available from third parties - Delphi .Net is underway.

It''s been said that you can create a class in one language, and inherit from it in another. As far as I can tell, that is false. You can create an interface in one language, and implement it in another (just like COM always worked).

The .Net implementation isn''t based on COM, but the two share similar architectures (heavily OO).

*It''s better because it emits more optimized code for more modern processors, and more importantly it adds several extremely useful C++ features. If you were unaware the Microsoft C++ compiler doesn''t implement many so-called advanced template features - and still doesn''t for that matter, but the team is working on compliance issues. Microsoft has hired two prominent C++ gurus to direct this effort.

I wonder when we''ll be running inside a sandbox², on a VM that''s portably executed across multiple VM''s?

I see some advantages to that. But I personally would rather just teach my whole development team one language so they can work together best.

Thanks for all the replys, i did not expect so many.
From what you guys are telling me it seems that i will be just fine with the good ol VC++ 6 compiler that i have.

Just a correction, you can in fact in a language inherit classes defined with another language - aas long as you stick to the managed (C#,VB, managed C++) world

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!