Are these compositions any good?

Started by
11 comments, last by Kylotan 21 years, 10 months ago
Track one - I personally don''t care if the tune''s a "little ordinary" as long as it has either a good portion of melancholy or a theme full of heroism in it - I simply consider it one type of music - for some certain occasions. This track has both qualities. I won''t stress any more that the cymbals... well yes. The piano part coud''ve been a little bit stronger as well - an octave lower perhaps and just background.

Track two - reminded me of the music you could hear on Grass in Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (sweet memories...). The ending was abrupt, to say the least - just as if the performers got up and left the stage in the middle of the show... The flute was fine, but, yeah, again - it seemed like only the opening theme for a longer piece...

Okay - I''ll admit, I wouldn''t pick either of them for easy listening, but as in another post on this forum asking feedback on some MIDI files, these pieces could prabably have their respective purpose somewhere else(if rearranged a little). Just remember - any music''s good music if it''s your music. You can''t write bad music as long as you write music!

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Advertisement
Track 1:

The snare needs more dynamics, maybe some well placed accents to give the rhythm some character.

Far fewer cymbal crashes, and if possible use a lower pitched, longer decaying cymbal.

Great break to piano, I would've like to have seen it go on a bit longer with fewer chords and more melody, also the choir should've either been lowered (or maybe even eliminated) to give the piano room to breathe.

During the 2nd piano part I think you should've broken away from tracing the chords (1,3,5,1,3 repeating) - it felt like it wanted
to go somewhere.

Constructive criticism aside, this was a great piece, I can definitely see it in a game.

Track 2:

Great lute/harp foundation with nice layering, sets up the flute very well. I felt the flute should've stayed solo, adding
a harmony took away from the basic emotion of the piece. At best, harmony should be saved for much later (after the piece is expanded).

I would've liked to see the harpsicord have at least one
subtle variation during the piece. I know it was part of the foundation, but at least one little break wouldn't have hurt.

This was my favorite (albeit too short) track of the two. As has been stated earlier; put some more time into sample quality and mixing, but as far as composition I thought they were both great.

[edited by - Mister Anopo on June 5, 2002 2:49:37 PM]
Thanks everyone, some great constructive criticism. I may rework them later to take some of those points into account. Just one other thing to answer though - I don''t want to distribute them as module files as they sound different in different players. Winamp can''t handle the ending of the 1st track properly, for example.

Kylotan, perhaps not just a programmer/writer/designer after all.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement