Witch one is more funner; Playing or Programming

Started by
27 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 10 months ago
I understand totally sakky.

I guess the best thing to do is treat a compliment like a gift and try to filter out the interference of an unconstructive criticism, and figure out how you can make use of it.

But sometimes that can be hard when you''re hoping for some positive feedback. Still, positive feedback is in itself subjective. What''s positive to one person might not be to another. Sigh, life is a journey, isn''t it?
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Advertisement
I actually find level design to be the most rewarding part of game development. When somebody plays your game and says "Wow, that''s a clever puzzle" or "That level was cool!", that''s the high I get from making games.

Programming is also a lot of fun - I''m a math nut!
I''d have to say playing what you''ve programmed is the most bestest thing ever.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:
Do any of you get a sence of GOD like feeling when you playing you game? Like you the master or somthing.

I always compare programming to that, when explaining my joys in it. The idea of having complete control over everything, knowing that you made it all possible is truly wonderful. For a while I was certain that I preferred programming to playing games, but then I started playing CounterStrike. I stopped programming, because I love/d that game sou much. Now, I''m getting back into programming though and thoroughly enjoy it.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
I now its weiird like that. I like making graphics and music. I wish I could do it all day. But I also like programming. Its seams to me that those hobbies take one another over alot. I can''t have them both at the same time.

I think that programming is real cool but its not the best. I think playing something you programmed would be the best because its that thang you made. Its like you little child and you are abusing it by not playing it. I find it refreshing to have somthing there to play after any hard work. I feel like I actually did somthing cool and I have proof.

It all comes from some were tho. So I think that programming is like the door way to that world you making. What about designing you guys? What happens to you when you get an idea or design floating in your head? Whats the first thang you start to write about of design? Whats designing to you?
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Making games, for sure. Playing is fine, but I find myself playing games mostly for research rather than enjoyment, just to see what I like and don''t like in games. I also find, if I sit down and try to play through a game, that often I get an anxious urge to the effect of "I should be programming... I should be programming... I should be programming...", and I end up shutting the game off anyway

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

Isn' it cool tho, when you program something like a Game? Its like after you finish it, or atleast come close to it. It becomes a part of you. All the experience you get from doing that project becomse a part of you. The game its self is a extention of your self, I think. When you finish any programming project you get more experience. That experience becomse a part of you. The experience you had while making the game is transformed into that game as well. Because after you finish something you remember what you did and how you did it, mostly.

Programming is fun but it has its limits. When you finish something and are able to paly, that is much more funner. I would like some one to review what I have done. Its
here at my web site. Its under the Galaxian Clone download. every thang else I have there is from along time ago. I'v made them with Dev-C++.

What do you think a good programmer should know? Like say after a year or to into the feild, or just playing around with it. Do you think some one should know the language there using like the back of there hand or what? I gues I'm asking where you define your self at. If there is levels of a programmer, what are they? Why is it taking me so long to get here, and why do I feel I don't know shit? I'v only been programming for a 1 or so, what should I know by now. I feel alot of the times I'm just switching thangs around to see what fits. Like I don't fully understand whats going on, but I'm making it and I can talk to other people about it. What do you call that? People tell me all the time that its taken them forever to get were they are with programming. So am I on the right track or what? I know thats kind of a hard question to answer because you don't realy know whats in my head. But were do you think some one at a year and a half into programming should know and be able to do? I feel like I'm lagging realy bad, thats why I'm always asking questions and wanting to get down to the bottom of every thang. What do you guys think?

[edited by - Sakky on June 2, 2002 2:25:51 PM]
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
First of all... could you please try to write a lil less? I find it annoying to have to read a post as long as my screen about opinions. Just keep your ideas short

Also, I don''t know why everyone hates it when people critize their games. I personally encourage people to talk as much trash about my program as possible. I do this for 2 reasons:
1) I get more ideas, and the program ends up much better because of it.
2) I love to prove people wrong. I still remember when I was a 14 year old kid making hacks that 30+ year olds can''t even begin to undertand

I''m 15 years old now, with almost 3 months experience in DirectX, but I can carry a conversation with someone who has 15 years of experience backing them.
That, and the fact that I''m actually making something is why I love to program.
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
playing a game you programmed > game programming > playing a game somebody else programmed ( including store bought )

Guy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement