Witch one is more funner; Playing or Programming

Started by
27 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 10 months ago
I was just wondering witch one of the two; Programming and Playing, is funner for you? I was adding in the Level system in my Galaxian clone and I have to blow away all the ships before I see any of the progress I''v done. So you see, I have to play the Game while I''m programming it. A thought acured to me with one is more fun doing; Playing the Game you making or Programming it. Keep in mind that all of this is taking place at the same time. So while you see your creation come alive, is it funner to dick around in you game, or other? I can''t realy deside for my self, any ways. I like playing the game, but its kinda anoing to have to do it to get were I want, so I can see if my additions are working. I could just alter the source, to were I don''t have to do that. But that defeats the whole purpose to this topic. On the other hand, I like writing up classes and useing different APIs, in genral. I like to have a little study and have to figure some thangs out. I also like programming, if I didn''t I wouldn''t be here. Whats you favorite, or most fun for you??
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Advertisement
Well, I''d say playing is more fun, yet I spend almost all my free time making them. The reason why I love making them is the feeling I get when I accomplish something (like a new feature or actually finishing the game). And I get that feeling when I play my finished product. So I really don''t know either.

Well, playing is more fun. But I''d much rather be programming than playing *shrug*. I guess it''s the sense that I''m actually creating something when I program, whereas when I play a game, I rarely feel like I''m accomplishing anything.
I agree with both of you!
I like to play games alot. StarCraft and Diablo are two of my favorites. I like to play games for resaerch on new ideas or imspiration. But alot of the time I just want to blow stuff up and (QUAKE 1,2,3)kill thangs. Thats why I like ID so much, because they give that to me. Whats you favorite Action game?

Its realy run I think, to get into a good RPG. Something that takes a while to. You get all sorts of ideas in your head from thoughs. I love getting realy into a RPG because its fun being in a new world. Whats everyones favortie RPG?

I like to play puzzle games too. Something you have to work at to get around, like Myst. Those types of games go on for ever. Most of them have good graphics too. I love Myst because the graphics and music, plus the plot to it. Does any one have a favorite Puzzle game?

I like to program because I like learning. Every day you learn something new, so I try to aply this to computers. Its fun makeing graphical data and being able to screw with it. The cool thang about programming is theres always somthing new. You can''t possibly learn every thang there is to know about every Scripting, Markup, API, or language about them. Learning them and getting into somthing new to see what oyu can doo is realy fun, for me any ways.

I like scripting alot because most scripting languages are pretty high level. Not only that, but I get this sence of ceriousness about the inner workings of the script. You know that thought that you get, when your scripting and you have the feeling ''Whats making all this happen any ways. Better yet how can I make my own scripting language''. Or for me usaly fallows the though, ''If I made a scripting language, would it be popular? Would it have a valuable purpose? What would the structure be like and what would be a good long lasting creditable strucre for it?''. What would you Scripting Language do if you made one, or whats you favorite?

I love Markups!!! When what I made will go any were, I get a warm fuzzy feeling and a sence of power. Although Scripting and Markup are if not the same, basicly the same, theres a more professional look and feel for me with them. Like java-script feels like a coffee shop with carboard posters on the walls. But with a adalessant view of world domination. HTML, to me is a pretender, but has made its grounds. XML, to me is just off the wall and has me thinking, can I realy do this? It makes me feel like Independant Platform all over again. Ok people, whats you favorite Markup.

Programming is programming, theres no other way to put it in my mind. It takes every thang you can think of and more to make this awsome structure of electronic reality. Digging deep down in my thoughts, I''v realized the getting into programming so much and the drive to learn more, was me thinking in classes and structures now. Like, if I have a problem or something, instead of trying to sit down with the person and talk about it, I go load up VC and the debugger, ''OK what seams to be the problem were''. Every time I run into a problem, my mind always falls back into programming. Like, I could fix this or solve this with C or C++. Sort oflike the inner programmer always working. Now this will start somthing. Whats every bodies favorite programming language? NOT WHY.

I''m waiting to see what you people will reply with. I wonder if any of you can realte to me on any of what I said.
I started 3d programming, because I like playing 3d games.
If you have to work, making games is the way to go.

Don''t get me wrong - I spend a lot of my free time playing games as well (just ask my wife)...

Bob
Bob ScottAI Designer/ProgrammerStainless Steel Studios
Playing is more fun than programming.

But playing a game that you programmed yourself is the most fun you can have.
Well, I haven''t played many games or used many languages (compared to others here), but my favortie game is Final Fantasy VII for obvious reasons. As for languages, PASCAL is the easiest for me, but my favorite is c++.
I can imagine a world without hate, a world without fear, a world without war. And I can imagine us attacking that world, because they would never expect it. -Jack Handy
My Favorite programming language is C++. I like the object oriented aproach to thangs, but I think it can also be over done. C++, is a sort of structured object based enviorment for me. I think that nothing has encapsulated the OO better then C++. Sure, JAVA dose a good job, but coorect me if I''m wrong. Wasn''t JAVA derived from C++. Besides the obvious similarites in syntax.

My most favortie Script / Mark-Up, is java-script. Its closer to the OO that I like. Besides that its more browser independant the VB-Script. Can we say, Controliveness!? I''v seen and played games made from java-script. I also played with it a bit to make something ot the sort. I recomend XML based with java-script externaly driven.

I think I already listed a few of my favorite games. In reply to some of your replies. I too, think that playing the game you programmes is most fun. It takes both sides of the debate into one instance. Thats one of the main reseans behind the topic, in the first place.

Taking from the above said. When programming a game, witch part is the most favorite, or interesting for you to write? I my self, like programming the graphics the most. Mainly because there is visual progress seen. Watching my own graphics come to life with my charateristics I wrote, gove me a warm fuzzy feeling.

The next best, for me would be the input and then the interactivity. After I made some graphics come to life. I like to get into the application I''m making more, by setting up acceptable input. Then, nothing beats writing up some sort of sprite AI to play with.

Thats my thoughts; any other?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement