• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nicho_tedja

Alpha Blending with ID3DXSprite

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question about alpha blending with ID3DXSprite. According to this website: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010629/geczy_03.htm you can change the alpha channel of a texture to a certain value that can produce a nice effect like the pictures on that website. I''ve tried this many times but still never come up with the result like in the pictures. I tried BMP format, but the author said to use PNG or TGA. I tried both of them, the results are even worse, especially TGA, can''t see anything. Can anybody help me? Life is fair. -Albert Tedja-

Advertisement
I haven''t seen the website you mentionned. Yet, to avoid problem with ID3DXSprit interface, I use TGA with properly set alpha channel (I use Paint shop pro to add an alpha channel to TGA). (usefull for HUD rendering)
When I need to use a unique alpha value for the texture (ie overriding any kind of alpha channel value from the texture), I use my own interface (a little bit faster in this case). It renders translucent sprite from BMP/TGA/PNG on vertex buffers.
I think I didn''t exactly answered your problem, but I hope it will help by the way...

Freeman.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!