• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirge

Skeletal Animation (Keyframe) data from 3ds file???

This topic is 5891 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to figure out if there is a way to obtain skeletal (bones from character studio or not) keyframe animation from a 3ds file. Is that even possible??? I haven''t checked out it''s SDK yet but I don''t know if I should even try to extend my 3ds loader yet. I know 3ds files have keyframe data, but I need specifically bones keyframe data. If I have to I''ll make my own exporter(I''ll probably need to make my own file format anyways), but would rather know if this time consuming thing is done for me already. If I do need to make my own exporter for max (like half-lifes), does anyone know with the max sdk I can grab that info from a scene? Thanks a bunch!

Advertisement
You could try to program an exporter in maxscript. It''s fairly easy, but you need some extra plugins for skeletal animation exporting if you are using 3dsmax 3.1.

Or you could use the ase (ascii format) export function, and write an ase-importer for your engine. Not sure if ase exports skeletal info though.. I would think max 4.2 would...

Ah just my .02

Nick

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!