• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Open GL Question

This topic is 6553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You should use Microsoft''s version. SGI''s is said to be faster in software mode, but their hardware support is at best questionable.

I know what you mean... It shouldn''t really make a difference, but sometimes it does.

I know that the SGI libraries work okay on my card (a Matrox G200)

Paul Groves.
http://home.clara.net/paulyg
OpenGL for Beginners

Just for clarification, SGI''s OpenGL for Windows doesn''t do hardware acceleration. If you have a hardware accelerated driver installed and pick a pixelmode with hardware accel, the SGI OpenGL DLL will pass OpenGL calls through to Microsoft''s OpenGL DLL to gain the benefit of the acceleration.

I suggest not using SGI''s OpenGL anyway, except as a second-implementation testing tool. It is no longer supported by SGI, and seems somewhat out of sync with newer releases of Microsoft''s DLL which seems to cause crashes (for me anyway, under Win98 SE and Win2000) on pass-thru.

The fact that the software emulation is faster is pretty irrelevant as its still way too slow to be usable by anything but the most simple 3D game.

• Advertisement