• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neophyte

C++: Generating compile-time warnings or errors

This topic is 5839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the process of writing a class overloading the new and delete operators. For this particular class, however, it makes no sense, and is definitely an error, to use the operators new[] and delete[]. So I would want to overload those operators, but have them generate a compile-time warning or error. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, or if it is even possible. Is there some standard way of signalling to the compiler that it should generate a warning or error? If there is no standard way of doing it, is there a way to do it that is Visual C++ specific? Help or URL''s highly appreciated. -Neophyte -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GED d- s:+ a- C++$ UL++ P++ L++ E W+ N+ o K? w !O M--(+) V-- PS+ PE Y+ PGP t-- 5++ X+ R(+) rv+(++) b+++ DI+ D(+) G e+>++ h r--> y+ ----- END GEEK CODE BLOCK----- geekcode.com

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You may want to check out the preprocessor commands #error and #warning.

You can also use asserts for this type of thing to generate a run-time error instead of a compile-time one.

Overload them and make them private . Since they''ll never be called you only need the declaration.

Thanks SabreMan and spock, I can''t believe I didn''t think of that myself. (*bonks head on keyboard repeatedly*).

Anyway, AP: The Preprocessor commands are definitely not going to work, as they will generate error/warning regardless of wether the operators are ever used or not. And asserts will only work in debug-mode, and not in release-mode.

-Neophyte

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GED d- s:+ a- C++$ UL++ P++ L++ E W+ N+ o K? w !O M--(+) V-- PS+
PE Y+ PGP t-- 5++ X+ R(+) rv+(++) b+++ DI+ D(+) G e+>++ h r--> y+
----- END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
geekcode.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!