GDI graphics question

Started by
3 comments, last by Ronin Magus 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm somewhat new to windows programming, especially graphics programming. Anyways, I've been working on a game similar to tetris for a while now. I've written this function which should draw to the window the falling block that is currently active (the block is stored in memory as a 4 member array of POINT in a Block structure.) After running this function I get nothing on screen. Any ideas?

const int MAXX = 10;   // maximum X of game grid

const int MAXY = 15;   // maximum Y of game grid

const int WINDOW_WIDTH = 300;
const int WINDOW_HEIGHT = 300;

void DrawScreen()
{
	RECT myRect;
	RECT myWindowRect;
	int drawwidth = WINDOW_WIDTH / MAXX;
	int drawheight = WINDOW_HEIGHT / MAXY;

hWindowDC = GetDC(hwndMain);
	hMemDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hWindowDC);

GetClientRect(hwndMain, &myWindowRect);

for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
	{
		myRect.left = currentBlock.myPoints[i].x * drawwidth;
		myRect.top = currentBlock.myPoints[i].y * drawheight;
		myRect.bottom = myRect.top + drawheight;
		myRect.right = myRect.left + drawwidth;

FillRect(hMemDC, &myRect, HBRUSH(GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH)));
	}

BitBlt(hWindowDC, 0, 0, myWindowRect.right, myWindowRect.bottom, hMemDC, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);

DeleteDC(hMemDC);
	ReleaseDC(hwndMain, hWindowDC);
}

[edited by - Ronin Magus on May 30, 2002 5:02:25 PM] [edited by - Ronin Magus on May 30, 2002 5:04:57 PM]
Advertisement
Try to change this...

hMemDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hWindowDC);/* Some code */DeleteObject (hMemDC);  

...by this...

HBITMAP hMemBMP;/* Some code */hMemDC= CreateCompatibleDC     (NULL);hMemBMP=CreateCompatibleBitmap (hWnd, width, height);SelectObject (hMemDC, hMemBMP);/* Some code */DeleteObject (hMemBMP);DeleteObject (hMemDC);  

I had the same problem as you twice in the past, and this was the only way I found to solve it. Good luck.

theNestruo

Syntax error in 2410
Ok
theNestruoSyntax error in 2410Ok
Thank you, that worked well!! So, I assume that with GDI you have to select a bitmap object into a DC before you can draw on it. Correct?

[edited by - Ronin Magus on May 30, 2002 12:10:33 AM]
quote:Original post by Ronin Magus
Thank you, that worked well!! So, I assume that with GDI you have to select a bitmap object into a DC before you can draw on it. Correct?

[edited by - Ronin Magus on May 30, 2002 12:10:33 AM]

Correct

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
Windows GDI is quite troublesome at times, but it works so I can''t complain too much. I have just finished to a working extent a tetris clone myself. If you think it''d be helpful, I can send you the code of how I set up my rendering and various things for some ideas.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement