Chrono Trigger

Started by
42 comments, last by aramstudios 21 years, 10 months ago
If I''m correct, Squaresoft still holds the license to Chrono Trigger. I would suggest making a game in a new universe, and then translate Chrono Trigger''s strengths into your game. Although Japan has made some innovative games in the past, it is the European and American developers that have covered the most ground recently. I wouldn''t copy an antiquated game design. Instead, a good game design should be built upon to make it better. Anyone who said Final Fantasy X had a good battle system is fooling themselves. It was overly simple, and it was bland and repetitive. Don''t point out the damage modifiers with certain weapon types, I mean, that should be a given for ANY game. Switching out characters was a pretty lame change too, because no matter what, it makes no sense that the other 6 people traveling with you wouldn''t help in a fight. Innovation would be allowing all the characters to participate in a fight, and allowing you to position them to encircle or pincer your opponents (A large number of them of coarse). What do you expect though, it seems that the Final Fantasy battle systems have been moving backwards in innovation ever since Final Fantasy VI. I must admit that Crono Trigger had an excellent battle system though, but nobody wants to see the same old thing. Try to translate and improve it towards a more modern game.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by DuranStrife
...I''ve always wondered about what happened to Chrono''s mother and cat. I have this bizarre picture in my head of his mother and the cat travelling through time, performing dual techs against enemies...

That''s not a bad idea
you know, i may still have my old engine that i made simaler to chrono triggers, i wrote it in ''97, and i never got dual/triple/quad techs to work (i addded and extra player slot for fun) if i find it, i could let it go free. I designed it to be like an RPG Maker, but far less user freindly, since i designed it to only be used by me
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
DOH!

My primary project for a few months now has been an insane mix: a tactical-action-RPG. The battle system that I have designed for that game is, in my opinion, far better than ChronoTrigger's original system. It allows for up to 32 chracters in long-range real-time 2D combat simultaneously and could be severely improved if it had triple techs.

You're right: character swapping does kind of suck.

EDIT:

No offense or anything, but the main criteria for creating ANY sort of game is that it should be fun. FFX was, in my opinion, fun, and thus a good game.

Make GOOD games, not "modern" ones.

[edited by - DuranStrife on June 22, 2002 4:35:11 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement