• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardware acceleration

This topic is 5743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am beggining to learn OpenGL and currently reading "OpenGL Game Programming". At the end of chapter 5 it said that it is best to use OpenGL''s built in Matrix functions whenever possible because they can often take advantage of hardware acceleration that we wont have access to. This doesn''t seem right. Is the book trying to simplify things for the sake of not introducing advanced OpenGL functions too early? Isn''t there a way to use hardware T&L in your own matrices? (assuming your hardware supports T&L of course) If someone could straighten this out for me that would be great. Thanks, AcidInjury

Advertisement
There is no way to directly tell OpenGL to use hardware T&L. If it''s present, it''ll be taken advantage of automatically, provided that you let OpenGL handle the transformation and lighting. If you transform and light your vertices yourself you won''t get hardware T&L (unless you''re using shaders - which are making hardware T&L less important).

That''s not to say that you can''t build your own matricies. As long as you load them (with glLoadMatrix or glMultMatrix) and have OpenGL apply them to the geometry, you''ll still get hardware T&L.

No, its not really possible to use hardware T&L in a software renderer. Unless of course, you write your own drivers, but thats more trouble than its worth...

"Dammit! What the friggin hell is the problem????"
"Wait a second! I never called [insert function here]/used the variable [insert variable here]/remembered to [insert action here]! Hahaha!"
:: fixes mistake ::
:: presses f7 ::
:: no errors ::
:: presses ctrl+f5 ::
"DOH!"

• Advertisement