• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderWorld

PS2/Linux development

This topic is 6039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Just wondering if there is anyone here that has bought the Ps2/Linux kit and started developing on it? I just couldn''t resist the challenge . But I guess since it''s about a zillion times harder to code on than DX or OpenGL it would have been great to have a couple of guys working together on a small project to get some 3D on to the screen. I am a pretty competent DX coder so I think I can get something up and running by myself but it''s always more fun to gain insights from other working with the same problem. The first basic mission would be to - Get a math library for the basic, 3D and normal math into the system - Create 3D functions for klipping, texturing etc. - Get an input system up an running - make a basic font system After that a small game is built and who know from there on? Anyone up for the task ? /Joachim

Advertisement
DirectX will get you nowhere on the PS2/Linux Dev Kit. It''s basically running Linux...but on your PS2. If you can do it in Linux on your PC, then you can on the PS2/Linux Kit. OpenGL is very commonly used for 3d on Linux, as well as SDL for 2d, sound, input, and other stuff. Well, have fun on your expedition...I wish I could get a PS2/Linux Kit, but I don''t have a PS2...so I''ll stick with my PC Linux Distro.

--SuperRoy

[My SourceForge Project, ''Snoballz'']
[Google!][Stick Soldiers][E-Mail Me!]
[End Transmission]

From what I know there is no free openGL implementations for the PS2 Linux since it must be very specifically written for using the EE, V0 and V1

/Joachim

Though there are several OpenGL implementations for the PS2 out there, some commercial, some internal to games companies. And, Sony does have a (somewhat shitey) version that I wouldn''t be suprised if they released for the Linux.

I''m curious what they''ll do to prevent the hobbyist market from stealing any of their commercial dollars... I''m assuming their are some fundamental limitations to the PS2 Linux kit (and they''re probably not very secret, I just haven''t gone out and looked).

I would wager that the biggest reason Sony is releasing PS2 Linux kits is to spit in the eye of Microsoft... in other words, Sony wants to stress the point that the PS2 is the anti-thesis of the Xbox... for better or for worse!

From what I have read there are only one real limitation that is that you can''t ship your games on cd to a normal PS2.

I think the reason for the PS2 Linux is that it''s hard to program and without a natural demo scene it''s hard to recruit new guys for the games companies since there is no one outside the business that already has some knowledge in programing the machine which leads to a shortage of available staff.

/Joachim

You''re absolutely right, Joachim. I just read up on the devkit and it does indeed sound like the only limitation is the non-access to the CD drive.

The PS2''s not that hard to program for (well, it''s a pain in the arse, but it''s doable). Particuarly with the help in the linux stuff they give you, it should be pretty fun.

I actually may have to look into getting one of those... of course, I''ve got the real thing (the T10k and DebugStation) sitting at my desk, but Linux would make it a bit more fun...

Simagery: i second that motion.... the difficulty of PS2 programming has been exaggerated.... GS, vu0, and vu1 are extremely easy to program for.... the ONLY thing that is annoying is dealing with the SIF for all I/O.... and no i don''t use the Linux devkit, but have access to Sony doc''s....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

quote:
Original post by Simagery
You''re absolutely right, Joachim. I just read up on the devkit and it does indeed sound like the only limitation is the non-access to the CD drive.

Another major difference (not a limitation, necessarily) is that with the PS2/Linux kit, you''re writing code to work within a Linux environment, while the pros (self included) are not.

At least one implication: you''ll have virtual, protected memory management, a "much safer working environment" so to speak. The formal dev kit has more physical memory, but we still have to absolutely keep the whole thing under 32mb ram usage if we want to run on a real PS2.

But, in gaining that safety, the PS2/Linux kit has to give up a few DMA modes and the like that potentially could make your software faster if used, but can''t coexist with the virtual/protected memory management.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!

I think you are right in that it''s not extremely hard to program the processors. This gives you a lot of power to create whatever you want.

But I also think that by not suppling anything that eases the startup like DirectX or OpenGL does in many ways it''s a long and hard road to being able to create anything that looks anything remotely good.

But since you guys already are good at programming for the PS2 you can help me creating that framework???

/Joachim

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!