• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Programming Languages

This topic is 5740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I guess I might as well post it here, this seems to be the right spot for it. I''d like to know what programming languages you use(including version, and the compan that made it). I''ll just start off myself:I use Borland Delphi 5.0 professional edition and Borland Delphi 6.0 personal edition. Oh, one more thing, don''t start a programming language war over this, OK? Delphi is the best language around.

Advertisement
I just said, no language wars( it''s just plain stupid, people will program in whatever language they want anyway). It''s just an informative question, nothing else.

(Oh, and are you from Holland, cause so am I).

Delphi is the best language around.

i use vc++ 6.0 in w32, ang gcc, delphi is NOT even a programing language, it'' s some kind of hybride of pascal and object oriented programming, and it reaaly sucks, u have almost zero control over your app(much less then in pure c), and know that
in my country, poland, pascal is in school, becouse girls like it ,
good luck
go for c/c++

quote:
Original post by Shadowcore
Oh, one more thing, don''t start a programming language war over this, OK?

Heh, if that''s your signature, perhaps you should think about changing it, because those two sentences don''t go together

codeka.com - Just click it.

quote:
Original post by Piotr_Haratym
i use vc++ 6.0 in w32, ang gcc, delphi is NOT even a programing language

You clearly don''t know what you''re talking about. Delphi is a perfectly valid choice for writing programs - even games. I don''t use it myself, but not because there''s anything lacking in delphi...

codeka.com - Just click it.

Delphi is just great imho. I think it''s just as powerful and easier to use than C++...

BTW : Greetings from Holland!

Yes I''m from Holland and sorry for the delphi sucks thing, if have my finals in delphi next week, we had delphi for one year on school but i never went to the class, no i have to learn it completely including the bde in just a few days, you thinck its possible?

I use MS Visual C++ 6 Professional most of the time. However for GUI based apps I don''t care to waste time doing real coding on, I use MS Visual Basic 6 Professional.

I''ve also used the latest Java SDK from Sun with TextPad. On rare occasion I use CGI with notepad. And on very rare occasion I use MS QuickBASIC 4.5 for whipping up demos which are then coded in C++ using DX.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall]

I primary code in C++. I use VS .NET. At work I use Java, PHP, PL/SQL, SQL and some HTML

I use VC++ and Java.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won''t bother you for weeks.

It''s not a matter of taste. C++ is the industry standart and not that much difficulter to use. A real programmer is seeing the problem he''s working on and not the language he''s using. Think about that. And C++ is perfect for every problems that comes around.

quote:
Original post by noVum
And C++ is perfect for every problems that comes around.

Who are you trying to kid?

This thread is going to become another programming language crusade, I guess...

Ok, I mainly use C++(6.0Pro), and some VB when it makes sense.

quote:
Original post by noVum
It''s not a matter of taste. C++ is the industry standart and not that much difficulter to use. A real programmer is seeing the problem he''s working on and not the language he''s using. Think about that. And C++ is perfect for every problems that comes around.

*C++ is not THE industry standard. C++ is very widely used, that''s all.
*Speaking of "difficulter" (i.e. more difficult) to use, you don''t say compared to what?
*C++ is not "perfect for every problem that comes around". This is a contradiction to your other statement ("A real programmer is seeing ...")

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica

quote:
Original post by Gabriel Fleseriu
*Speaking of "difficulter" (i.e. more difficult) to use, you don''t say compared to what?

Obviously, the world only has four programming languages: C, C++, Java and C#.

quote:
Original post by SabreMan

Obviously, the world only has four programming languages: C, C++, Java and C#.

Don''t forget the four operating systems on our planet: Microsoft, Windows, NT and XP

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica

quote:
Original post by noVum
It''s not a matter of taste. C++ is the industry standart and not that much difficulter to use.

You meant to say C is the industry standard, right? C++ has it''s foot firmly in the door, but I wouldn''t call it the industry standard just yet.

When I was pro, I used a combination of C, PS2 Assembly, and a couple of special purpose proprietary languages.

As a burnout (now that my non-compete has run out) I use C and Python. I''m not going to say that my language choice is really better than anyone elses. I use C for hardcore stuff, and because it''s what I''ve been using the most, and I just like Python (find it to be a nice, clean language).

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is the most retarted thread ever! Why would you start a thread like this and say "X is the best ever! But don''t start a flame war!" and not expect people to get all defensive. What is the point of posting what language you use, does it matter? Does your language get the job done? Great! Go forth and make programs.

Guest Anonymous Poster
PERL IS THE BOMB!!!! who needs anything but perl?!!!!!! if you cant perl then you cant program either (thats a fact).

quote:

Oh, one more thing, don''t start a programming language war over this, OK?

Are you just retarded or do you want to start a flame war?

on windows i mainly program in C, using mingw for my compiler, and code genie for my editor. on linux, i just use good ol gcc with anjuta for an excellent IDE

i also program in delphi(object pascal), assembly, perl, php, and C++

MSVC6 C/C++
MSVC7 C++
VB6
Delphi
And this ultra-Krude scripting language the company I work for developed that makes Delphi torture seem heaven sent.

quote:

Don''t forget the four operating systems on our planet: Microsoft, Windows, NT and XP

Listen not to the heathens, for twenty years ago they would have you believe "All the world''s a VAX".

quote:
Original post by pwd
You meant to say C is the industry standard, right? C++ has it''s foot firmly in the door, but I wouldn''t call it the industry standard just yet.

I would say C++ is the standard, even ID uses it now. And everyday I read about Java and C++ being used for embedded applications. OS kernels and drivers are about all that''s written in C for desktops anymore - of course there are many exceptions, but I do believe they are the minority.

It depends on what you''re coding, but if you want a product with virtually no EoL (end-of-life), you want to pick a non-proprietary portable langauge. Fortran code still runs satellites today; some dinosaurs still execute COBOL. Nobody runs VB3.
But if you want to make a quick simple utility, or need/want to make a product you know has a short usability lifetime, those proprietary languages become better choices. It certainly is easier to slap a UI together using the VCL (that''s Delphi and/or Builder) than MFC(MSVC6) - now making it act the way you want it to is another story .

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows]

• Advertisement