Programming Languages

Started by
52 comments, last by Shadowcore 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by DerekSaw
Maybe it isn't crap at all condering that I like it more than MSC7 and MSVC in those days. And Turbo C++ 3 (and RHIDE just look like it ) is the best DOS compiler ever created. Microsoft PWB is the worst IDE of all (that i know off).

Actually, I really liked Turbo C++ for DOS, but after moving to windows I have had nothing but stablity problems with every IDE except Microsoft's. I never got a crash out of VC 5, 6, or .Net. BC 4.5 crashed CONSTANTLY in windows 95; 4.51 didn't help. JBuilder was so buggy I deleted it an hour ofter downloading. Sun's Forte is so bad it can bring down windows XP; I use it anyways and save often, just because there isn't anything else.

[edited by - invective on June 7, 2002 3:24:50 PM]
Advertisement
I use Visual C++ v6 pro (C++ and API) for applications I need control (ie mem handling/process patching/DLL wrapping etc or file manipulation etc) or graphical purposes such as DirectX or simular (speed and functionality))
I use Delphi v6 Pro for small utilities I don''t care about speed nor size. Sort of prototyping + saving alot of time.
I used to do Java for graphical webapplications such as Ansi loader, tickers, intros etc.
For web I also use Jscript, HTML, DHTML and I also know a bit of PHP/ASP (enough for basics)).
I used to do Qbasic when i was like 10. I also know Visual Basic to an intermediate level (networking, ordinary applications etc)
I also know basic ASM which I learned to understand SICE and W32dasm output.

So I''m currently mostly using Visual C++ with C++ and Win32API/DXAPI and sometimes the webstuff or delphi.
My version of VC++ (I think I''m using 5) has a habit of leaking handles. I usually find I have to restart it (VC++, not the computer) after a few hours. This probably wouldn''t be a problem if I was using an NT-based OS, but I''m not rich enough. Other than that, it works fine. I''ve never experienced a VC-caused crash.

The moral is: Windows may be an unstable bag of pants, but the software Microsoft make for it tends to be more stable than third-party software, perhaps because they know more about what will make it fall over.

Just Plain Wrong
CoV
quote:Original post by invective
... I never got a crash out of VC 5, 6, or .Net. BC 4.5 crashed CONSTANTLY in windows 95; 4.51 didn''t help...

BC 4.5 is designed to run on Windows 3.11, NOT Windows 95 or above... that''s why you got crashes. Borland C++ 5.0 IS for Windows 95/NT (2000/XP not test )
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement