Football (Soccer) AI

Started by
8 comments, last by Matt B 21 years, 10 months ago
Yes, yes i know there have been postings on this subject before, but if you read them they never answer the post. I am interested in modelling the AI for a 90 minute football game, no fancy graphics just dots. Two golden rules 1. The players must mimic human players 2. The user will have a direct influence over the game by changing team tactic. I have enough ideas for the modelling, but i need help translating the ideas into code. Any help, links greatly appreciate. If you want to help develop better still!!! charliemouse@meatyballs.net
Advertisement
>but if you read them they never answer the post
Oh, they must be different threads we''ve read then, ''cos the past two ones on the topic do have very good hints.

Once again:

- For individuals AI, reactive a-life strategies (like Craig Reynolds flocking behaviours) Tweak to match (seek player == defense, flee players ~= attack)
- For teams AI, locker room tactics (predetermined plans, see Robocup winner two years ago)

Learning doesn''t seem a viable option to me, both in reliability and development times.

> I have enough ideas for the modelling
Go ahead and express then! Maybe we can turn them into code for you...

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

Ok, firstly i am not a wizz at Maths, so bear with me. Second please don''t think i am being arogant by saying i have enough ideas, what i meant was that have have a greater undertand of the concepts then the actual coding.

Simplistically

The match engine/AI would be modelling on player movement and positions rather than player types, (Striker, midfield)

Example to explain myself!!!

Kick off, Strikers run forward and stand roughly between the oppisite teams defense and midfield, whilst there they will react to the game situation, e.g if their team has the ball an they are 10-20 yards away then the striker will start running around trying to find space for a pass , equally the defender marking that player may start tracking that players movements, this in turn might open a gap in the defense and the player with the ball might be able to run into that space.

So what i need is a routine that loops for the 90 minutes of the game and on each loop evaluates each players data and consider game data and decide what action that player might take.

Hope i''ve explained myself ok
quote:Original post by Matt B
Ok, firstly i am not a wizz at Maths, so bear with me. Second please don''t think i am being arogant by saying i have enough ideas, what i meant was that have have a greater undertand of the concepts then the actual coding.

Simplistically

The match engine/AI would be modelling on player movement and positions rather than player types, (Striker, midfield)

Example to explain myself!!!

Kick off, Strikers run forward and stand roughly between the oppisite teams defense and midfield, whilst there they will react to the game situation, e.g if their team has the ball an they are 10-20 yards away then the striker will start running around trying to find space for a pass , equally the defender marking that player may start tracking that players movements, this in turn might open a gap in the defense and the player with the ball might be able to run into that space.

So what i need is a routine that loops for the 90 minutes of the game and on each loop evaluates each players data and consider game data and decide what action that player might take.

Hope i''ve explained myself ok

If you are seriously interested in developing soccer AI, then I highly suggest you visit:

http://medialab.di.unipi.it/Project/Robocup/pub/

And spend some time studying how others have developed their soccer playing program.
There are papers that go into detail, and explain at various levels, the theories and the
philosophies behind the decisions that were used. There is even source code.

Eric

Hmm that web site seems to contain code on robots playing football, not a computer simulation...

Anymore suggestions
Craig Reynold''s work is simulated... look it up.

Locker room agreements could equally apply in simulations.

Do I need to hold your hand while you Google too?

hehe

Hope that helps!

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

quote:Original post by Matt B
Hmm that web site seems to contain code on robots playing football, not a computer simulation...

Anymore suggestions

Robocup is a computer simulation of football (or soccer as we yanks refer to it).

Look a little closer at http://medialab.di.unipi.it/Project/Robocup/pub/ and you will find
examples of source code, the robocup soccer simulator and all you could hope for to
learn how to develop AI for soccer.

Eric
quote:Original post by Geta
Robocup is a computer simulation of football (or soccer as we yanks refer to it).

Actually, to be fair, Robocup has several divisions. They fall into two categories: simulated and robotic. Within the robotic there are divisions based on size of the robot... and after 1998, there is now the Sony Dog division! Very cute.

So, you do need to hunt around to make sure you find the code for simulated robocup teams and not the robotic teams.

Cheers,

Timkin
quote:Original post by Timkin
Original post by Geta

Actually, to be fair, Robocup has several divisions. They fall into two categories: simulated and robotic. Within the robotic there are divisions based on size of the robot... and after 1998, there is now the Sony Dog division! Very cute.

So, you do need to hunt around to make sure you find the code for simulated robocup teams and not the robotic teams.

Cheers,

Timkin

I found that going to the pages of the various teams yielded the best results.
And all are linked from that main link. Come to think of it, I never did run
across the robotic stuff, just the computer simulation papers and code.

I'm sure its there, I just was looking for computer simulation material.

Eric

[edited by - Geta on June 5, 2002 8:28:56 AM]
quote:Original post by Geta
Come to think of it, I never did run across the robotic stuff, just the computer simulation papers and code.

That''s partly because the robotics code is more heavily guarded by some teams!

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement