NEWBIE QUESTION: Skinned meshes vs. Standard meshes

Started by
-1 comments, last by rohde 21 years, 10 months ago
Hey you all. I''ve just started to leard D3D and I''ve got some questions about meshes in D3D. I''m really confused about meshes, especially skinned ones. I''m not sure about the differences between standard and skinned meshes. 1. I know that a skinned mesh can be deformed at run-time. But what does that actually mean? Does it mean that you use skinned meshes for animation? If so, does that imply that a standard mesh can''t be animated? 2. What are some good formats for meshes, standard and skinned. And what programs can you recommend for building your models and animations? 3. This is in continuation with 1 above. Just to clarify it some more. If you build a 3D model and export it and the model doesn''t containt any animation info, then you can only read load it in D3D as a standard mesh, right? For you to load it in as an skinned mseh in D3D you need to make it some kind animated model right? With keyframe animation? Can you do this kind of moddeling in programs like 3 ds max? Or what? Anyway I hope that some of you might help me to straighten this out. For now I''ll return to my D3D book Thanks in advance. ------ A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement