• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RajanSky

VC++: Custom project templates

This topic is 5982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Lately I''ve been doing some work with DirectX, OpenGL, and game programming stuff and I''ve found that for each type of project I want to do, there''s a different way to set up the structure of the program. For example, if I do a game, I usually put the windows message loop in a separate thread, and then I code all the actual game into a "GameMain" function which works kind of like a main() function in DOS- it runs from beginning to end and you don''t need a state machine like you usually do with win32 programming... I was wondering if there''s a way to reuse these project templates... Like, in Visual Studio AppWizard, you can just choose "I want this type of a project" and it will set up all the basic framework and code for you so you can start coding away. What I''d like to do is add my own project templates to Visual Studio so that I could just click "I want an OpenGL project" and it will give me a new project in the form that I specify, with all the basic OpenGL code already there. I think this would be a really good feature if the IDE supports it. Has anyone found how to do this? Thanks a lot! Rajan

Advertisement
It does support it. There''s a type of project called ''Visual Studio Add-In'' that allows you to create a wizard like the MFC Appwizard does.

There''s also a DirectX AppWizard out there already available from Microsoft. It created a core DirectX application using the common framework. Source code is available for it so it''s a good place to start.

Wow, Thank you so much =) It''ll be so great not to have to worry about all the overhead all the time!

Here is a link to the 'DX Extras' download. It's one of the components that comes with that.

[edited by - jonstelly on May 31, 2002 6:09:47 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!